Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military marriages and births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roslyn

Roslyn Report 18 Sep 2016 04:37

Hi, We have a great great grandmother Maria born Limerick Feb 1847, and baptised there in the March. He father was a corporal in the 59th regiment and sometime in 1849 he and his regiment and family went to Hong Kong. His wife died there about 1850-1851 and e remarried. I am tried to find out where he married without any success. We think Maria's mother was Ann but can not be sure. I would like to know if the GRO Regimental birth indices would have Maria's mother name and maiden name on it, and how would we find out where Joseph Scott married. We do have his service record. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Ros in
Australia

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 Sep 2016 10:31

I believe you can order Maria's birth certificate from the GRO-

"What will I see on an overseas certificate?

Due to the variety in format of overseas records, it depends on the type of record the certificate is produced from.

Normally the format of a birth certificate will include a date and place of birth, the child's name and the parents’ names and surnames. "

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#Overseas6
--------------------------------------------------------------

GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924) Transcription

First name(s) MARIA
Last name SCOTT
Year range 1847
Place LIMERICK
Country IRELAND
Regiment 59th Foot
Record source GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
Volume 1147 Page 41
Record set British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Sep 2016 18:26

My marriage certificate when my OH and I were in the RAF and stationed abroad is identical to any UK marriage certificate only it's signed by an RAF officer.

The same goes for our son's birth certificate, he was born overseas and our daughter Lincoln UK, identical certificates in their format and information.

Admittedly far more recent than the one required but I would hope that they would be the same and have the same info on as the certificates of the time. Our son's registration does show my maiden name as does all registration from 1911 but not as early as 1847. You do have enough info from AustinQ to order the certificate and find all the info you require. :-)

Edit - Ireland was part of Britain at the time so it wasn't classed as an overseas posting.

Roslyn

Roslyn Report 20 Sep 2016 10:20

Thank you for all your support and messages. Yes we will buy Marai's birth certificate, but we are also very interested in the marriage of her parents. We know the regiment ad is regimental number, did he marry in England, Malta or the West Indies or even on a ship.
How do we fin our this to go further on the maternal line. Any suggestions, please.
Cheers fellow researchers/

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Sep 2016 15:53

I think you'll find it very hard to get further without the birth certificate and Maria's mum's maiden name. He may also have married in England or Ireland or, not married at all.

You said Maria was baptised in March 1847- does the baptism not show that her mother was Ann?

Do you have the details of Joseph's second marriage? Who was listed as his father?

For the benefit of others that might wish to help:

First name(s) Joseph
Last name Scott
Birth year 1819
Birth parish Ballymacarret
Birth town Belfast
Birth County Down

Attested in Armagh 1837 (age 18 years, occ: Weaver) - he was then single.

Served in Antigua (West Indies) 1841,

Stationed Limerick in 1847,

He was discharged as Color Sergeant (at own request) in Victoria, Hong Kong 31st January 1853

Service abroad from military record:
Malta 26 days
Corfu 332 Days
West Indies 3years, 6 days
Hong Kong 3 years, 356 days

(info on FMP)

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Sep 2016 16:33

Thought this might help with knowing where he was and when:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENUKI/1997-08/0871856724

During the period 1835-46, the 59th's movements were as follows:

1831 Ireland
1834 England
1836 Malta
1841 West Indes
1843 England
1846 Ireland
1849 China

Roslyn

Roslyn Report 22 Sep 2016 01:02

Thank you for your replies. We do have all Joseph Scotts military records from FMP and dates and some of the troop ships that carried him all around the world. To find out more about Joseph's first wife our line we need to buy their daughter Maria's birth cert and hope it has her mothers maiden name on it. Her baptism in Ireland states her mother was Honoria, but he brothers baptism in Hong Kong states Ann. Now he was born aboard the ship on the way to Hong Kong. He brother was born when Maria was about 20 months old.
And then look at Regimental marriages and hope there is one.

Thanks again everyone.