Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 24 Sep 2016 23:55

Hi, can anyone shed any light on my grandfather, his name is on the Vis-en Artois memorial in Northern France. Henry Cardwell Royal Horse and Field Artillery, date of death is given as January 1919 from injuries. He was in the 12th division amm. Column or suchlike. Born in Blackpool, aged approx 35 when he died. Confused as to why cause of death would be " injuries ", when the war was over? Any help glady recieved, many thanks.

safc

safc Report 25 Sep 2016 00:30

maybe he got injured during the war and his injuries where that bad he did not survive

i think you can buy his death cert from the general records office

GRO WAR DEATHS ARMY OTHER RANKS (1914 to1921) Transcription
Print transcription View image
First name(s) HENRY
Last name CARDWELL
Death year 1919
Service number 247779
Rank Gunner
Regiment or unit Royal Field Artillery
Record source GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)
Volume A.4
Page 483
Record set British nationals armed forces deaths 1796-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2016 08:27

If you're lucky, the DC might say how long he'd been receiving medical attention. His condition may have been too unstable to ship him home to England
On the other hand, he may have been injured in an accident or while clearing unstable & unexploded shells etc.

The probate Calender says he died 11 Jan 1919
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

To search for the listing, make sure you click 'Soldiers Wills'. A copy would cost £10. It might just give the name of his surviving spouse or NOK who he wished his estate to go to.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 Sep 2016 09:07

On the UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects (Ancestry), his widow is listed as Edith.

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
9 Brook St Marton Blackpool, Blackpool, Lancashire, England

Henry Cardwell Head Married Male Bricklayers Labourer 28 1883 Lancashire Blackpool
Edith Cardwell Wife Married Female - 23 1888 Lancashire Manchester
Mary Jane Gregson Boarder Married Female - 41 1870 Cheshire Chester
George Richard Gregson Boarder Single Male Apprentice Painter Houses 15 1896 Lancaheshire Blackpool
Isabella Gregson Boarder - Female School 13 1898 Lancheshire Kirkham
John Gregson Boarder - Male School 11 1900 Lancashire Blackpool

Edith married 1 year, no children

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Sep 2016 11:22

Welcome to the Community boards Susan.

(I'll let Susan know how to find her replies) :-)

Susan

Susan Report 26 Sep 2016 11:40

Hi, many thanks for your replies ?? I managed to get so far with my research a few years ago; I did obtain the death certificate which stated " injuries". I didn't know where to turn next to try to find out any further details i.e. Whether he died in battle and his remains were found in Jan 1919, or whether he died on the actual date of 11th Jan. I was informed that any of his army history would have been destroyed in WWII when a bomb hit the building in which the records were stored in London. Can't seem to find any living relatives either apart from my own family, although he seems to have come from a line of Blackpool Cardwells. Henry's son George Henry ( my dad) died when I was 6, and my late mum never knew any real details either, just that Henry never came home from war. If Henry's name is on a memorial, rather than having an actual grave, does this mean there probably wasn't eonough of him left to bury? Many thanks x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2016 14:35

If he was killed in action, one would assume that the DC would have said, missing presumed KIA with the date being when that descision was taken ie 11 Jan 1919. That is the most contemporary document you'll find.

It's possible his remains were buried in a temporary grave but not recorded properly hence the inscription on the memorial rather than a headstone in a cemetery.

You might just have to write it off as a mystery.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Sep 2016 21:05

Thank you for your help. I fear I may just have to write it off too :-(

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Sep 2016 19:09

The war might have ended on 11/11/1918, but war service didn't. There are still a lot of jobs to be done, like ensuring the Germans turned in their arms and went home, bringing stuff worth keeping (like guns and soldiers) back to the UK, etc.. Accidents happen - he could get run over by a horse and cart or a truck, slip on a wet floor and bang his head, fall down the stairs, etc, so injuries happen. Non-battle deaths will still get your name on a war memorial, and rightfully so.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Sep 2016 17:01

Well he is acknowledged as a WW1 casualty

Rank:GunnerService No:247779Date of Death:11/01/1919Regiment/Service:Royal Field Artillery 25th Div. Ammunition Col. Panel Reference: Panel 3 and 4. Memorial:VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL
Commemorative Certificate
This is a PDF file and requires Adobe Reader to view.
Download Certificate
CWGC ARCHIVE ONLINE (2)