Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fathers service records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 11 Nov 2016 21:18

I would like to be able to obtain my deceased fathers war records but I need his service number does anyone know where I could find this ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Nov 2016 22:25

Was your father in the services at the time he married or when he had children? If so his army number might be on one of the certificates.

You don't always need the service number in order to purchase his records. When I got my father's army records I didn't know his number. Instead of ordering them online, I rang the office in Glasgow and spoke to someone there who took the information I did have and I eventually got the records. I may have been lucky because we had an uncommon surname.

Kath. x

Hazel

Hazel Report 11 Nov 2016 23:33

Hi Kath
Thanks for the information he was in the army when I was born so will look on my birth certificate if not I will ring Glasgow and try there .

Ian

Ian Report 14 Nov 2016 20:46

If you know his regiment that will help also simple details like dob. You may have to provide supporting documentation to prove your relationship, his marriage, your birth and his death certificates possibly. Be aware that they do charge for this service, I think the current cost is £30. That said if you jump through the hoops they will be very helpful.

Hazel

Hazel Report 14 Nov 2016 21:52

Thank you very much for the information ian very helpful