Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert Hearn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

karen

karen Report 13 Nov 2016 16:14

I am trying to trace my father's navel records. He enlisted in 1942 aged 18 and was sent to Devonport. He survived the war.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2016 16:24

WW2 records will still be with the MOD. Unless he or his widow can sign the papers, there's likely to be a charge of £30.

This is the link for obtaining UK service records:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2016 16:27

Copying this over from another thread so that you can make an informed decision

ROYAL NAVY Navy Command

Naval Records WW2

After I had already spoken to a gentleman who informed me that their records did not show all of the information regarding a sailor's service as that was handed to the departing sailor, I was told that it may not be worthwhile paying £30 for information they held that would, in all likelihood, reveal nothing much at all.

The gent did, however, send me the application forms for release of the information. The letter accompanying the forms contained the following.

From a letter sent to me (a sailor's daughter) in January 2012 from Navy Search whose contact address is in Swadlincote, Derbyshire.

Your enquiry is considered to be a request for information in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The completed form needs to be accompanied by a death certificate and a cheque for £30 made payable to The MOD Accounting Officer. Do not send cash. We can't accept Canadian Postal Orders

This non-refundable fee covers the research into the information you seek although we are unable to guarantee that we will be able to find any data relating to the individual.

Please only enclose copies of death certificates etc as we do not accept responsibility for lost or damaged documents.

Please be aware that WWII documents were not produced in the same way as modern records due to a direct consequence of the conflict. They were not created or kept for research purposes, but for use by the government or law courts of the day. Consequently, you may find that the records you receive are not as full or as comprehensive as you expect.