Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Forces War Records Look Up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 14 Dec 2016 23:32

Anyone have access to the above records.I am seeking information on Edith Jane Lang WW2 records.

I have found listed an EJ Lang a Royal Artiillery Gunner 1942 service No.957030

I know Edith was a Gunner in Artillery

Thank You

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Dec 2016 08:35

(would be below)

Chris :)

Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Ernest Joseph
Last name Lang
Attestation year 1939
Service number 957030

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Dec 2016 14:24

If you wanted to know about Edith, you'd need to apply to the MOD for a copy of her military records.

For the forms and information on how to apply, follow this link. Assuming you meet the criteria, the records will cost £30 & could take a number of months to arrive.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Maureen

Maureen Report 15 Dec 2016 14:57

Thank you for your replies, that clarifies E.J. is not that person I seek,although the family know she was in the Army and injured.

I will pass on the link to obtain records.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Dec 2016 15:44

She would have been in the Auxiliary Territorial Service known as the ATS. The women were in uniform and did as much work as possible for the army to allow the men to go to the combat areas. Some women were on the search lights and the anti aircraft guns in UK, so that's possibly what Edith did.

HRH Princess Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth ll) was a driver in the ATS.

My mother was stripping out damaged tanks and rewiring them in the ATS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Territorial_Service

:-)

Maureen

Maureen Report 15 Dec 2016 19:28

Thank you PatinCyprus,

Interesting information I think she was working with the anti aircraft guns, I have looked at your link the women certainly did their part in the War alongside the men.

Rose-Marie

Rose-Marie Report 20 Dec 2016 22:44

Taken from the forces record online
Incident reported to the war office Casualty section for the 24 hrs ending 9.00.
Incident date 10/09/1942.
Casualty list 925 previously reported missing casualty list 917 26/06/1942 now not missing
Location - Western Desert

Hope this is of some help to you

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Dec 2016 19:47

Thank you Rose Marie