Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Polish Soldiers In Scotland 1941

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 22 Feb 2017 22:27

Is there any way to find information/pictures/details of those soldiers who served in Scotland at that time?

My grandfather IAN CROCKETT was born in CUPAR in July 1941.....

His father was a Polish Soldier.
His mother was in the Army. Her name was Margaret Helen Crockett. Born approximately 1918

I have ordered my grandads birth certificate but I'm not holding out much hope that his dad will be named.

The only Polish forces I can find in Cupar at that time is the 1st Rifle Bgd (I'm presuming that means Brigade)

Does anyone have any other knowledge or information about them or where to start looking?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Feb 2017 04:41

Did Margaret later marry?

Maybe a later husband and Margaret adopted her child and a birth father's name would appear on the adoption papers?

Did the birth father pay any maintenance for his child?
If so, there might be a record of the order somewhere.

greyghost

greyghost Report 23 Feb 2017 16:10

Samantha you would be better to keep to one thread about the same person, so helpers aren't repeating searches and replies. There are more replies on this other thread -

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1364890?jump=1364890

Have copied over any relevant info from here not already posted and Gwyn's reply