Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UNIFORM QUERY??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Apr 2017 11:34

Morning
Is there anyone out there who may be able to identify a Uniform for me?

Its is on some photos belonging to my late father. The photos are dated 'Christmas 1945-46' and on the back is an address in Canada. However the chap is photographed with my Dad (who was in the Merchant Navy UK) on 'High St, Southampton'

I am trying to trace the family of this chap Clifford Chant (on another post) but I wondered if any Military people out there maybe able to shed some light on the uniform?
Is this a UK uniform of some kind or Canadian? I was wondering if the fact it was Southampton which was/is a huge Merchant Navy area that this may have had some significance?

I can email the photos if need be or is there a way to attach here? Im not sure how to do that?/

Many thanks
Cassie :-S

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Apr 2017 13:33

You can put the photo into your Keepsafe and alter the security for us to see it and put the link to it on this thread.
:-)

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Apr 2017 14:41

Thanks Pat. I'll have a go at thst now.

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Apr 2017 14:56

Here goes. Pictures dated 1945 Southampton. Chap on right my Dad was in the Merchant Navy. Chap on the left is the uniform Im interested in. Uk or possibly Canadian? Second pic is this chap on his own

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/48764288

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/48764166

Not sure if Ive done this correctly

Any info very gratefully received. Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Apr 2017 16:45

You've done it correctly.

I'm no expert but the uniform looks British to me.

What year was your dad born as they look of a similar age or perhaps Clifford is a little bit older???

Kath. x

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Apr 2017 17:02

Hi Kath. My dad was born 1925. I agree the chap looks slightly older. I have found a match of his name b1921 in Somerset but what threw me was the Canadian address on the back of the photo addressed to my dad.
'To Ted all the best Cliff etc 'and Canadian address.

Hes obviously been in uk at some point with my dad so could be English and lived in Canada later.?

I have a seperate thread about this chap so wont go into too much detail here. I posted on the Military page as I was hoping to get a clue from the uniform.

Tha ks for the reply
Cassie :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Apr 2017 22:22

Looks very like an RAF uniform - pity it doesn't show either the top of the arm for the RAF eagle or a hat to know 100%.

The shape of the coat is RAF style. If it is he isn't aircrew or an officer. I would say the dates are correct and it's after the end of the war because of the medal ribbons.

If RAF it is his No1 uniform known as best blue not his working uniform.

Here's a link, hit the 12th picture to enlarge it and that's a corporal's WW2 best blue uniform.

https://www.google.com.cy/search?q=ww2+raf+uniform&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipt-b93IvTAhUlCpoKHYAZAvQQsAQIIw&biw=1065&bih=604&dpr=1

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Apr 2017 22:58

Just got OH to look at both pictures and he agrees with me that it's an RAF uniform, OH is positive from the buttons on the second picture. It's once again his best blue.

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Apr 2017 23:02

Thank-you Pat for replying. If only we had colour eh? Ha ha

Regards
Cassie

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Apr 2017 23:05

No problem I'm ex WRAF of 5 years and OH did almost 25 years RAF so between us we've seen quite a few RAF uniforms.

CasCas

CasCas Report 5 Apr 2017 08:05

:-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Apr 2017 22:57

Under a magnifier he has a lettered patch on his top left sleeve.

CasCas

CasCas Report 13 Apr 2017 06:53

Thanks Kay. Wonder what patch signified? :-0