Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tripoli 1949 Snow Storm.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 17 May 2017 14:40

Sorry if this appears to be a new post, tried to add pictures but could not.Hi, Can anyone help me trace a couple of soldier's (or members of their family), that were in the British Military Hospital in Tripoli in February 1949 after being caught in a snow storm. I have a copy of an article from the Tripoli Telegraph entitled; FROST BITTEN BOYS ARE RECOVERING. THREE DAY DESERT ORDEAL RECALLED. dated 22nd May 1949, which mentions my Father Gnr D.Vincent, and the 2 other soldiers that were with him when the storm struck, leaving them buried in snow up to 15 feet deep, the only information l have about them is the names, Gnr, Oliver and Gnr, Cook. I would like to trace them, or any members of their families to see if they are aware of what happened to their family members. As these were members of the Royal Artillery, l have passed the information l have on this to the Royal Artillery Museum. (they knew nothing of this)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 May 2017 18:55

Mentioned here, but not by names.

It might help define their group within the R.A.

Once a Grenadier: The Grenadier Guards 1945-1995
https://books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=0850525268

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 19 May 2017 06:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1355961