Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boer War - John Macdonald born c1969-1919

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 30 Jul 2017 08:30

Hi All. Is someone able to assist me with finding out which regiment my great grandfather was in during the Boer War?

John was a volunteer for the 3rd Seaforth Highlanders in Tain when he was working at the British Linen Company bank in Tain. He then moved to London to work for the Transvaal Loan & Mortgage Company and volunteered in the London Scottish Regiment. It was in London that he enlisted, and so I wonder whether if it was with the Scottish Horse possibly, or with his old regiment the Seaforth Highlands (Ross shire Buffs?)

I would be grateful for any assistance on the subject, or direction for my investigations.
Janet

Janice

Janice Report 30 Jul 2017 22:47

There are 60 John Macdonald records (of a similar age) who fought in the Boer War according to Find My Past. You could trawl those to see if you think one is him.
Janice