Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 record help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beth

Beth Report 31 Jul 2017 19:38

Hello - I am trying to find out what my granddad did during WW1. His name was Horrace E Fenton, from Hull. I know he was a rifleman but that's about it. I just wondered what he did during this awful time as I know very little about him and I have no one to ask. Thank you!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 31 Jul 2017 21:47

Name: Horace E Fenton
Regiment or Corps: Machine Gun Corps, East Yorkshire Regiment
Regimental Number: 9112, 19804

2 medals Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

Can't see attestation papers but over 70% of WW1 service papers were destroyed during the bombing raids of WW2.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 31 Jul 2017 21:53

Horace
Last name Fenton
Year 1914-20
Service number 9112, 19804
Second service number 19804
Rank Private,Private
Second rank Private
Regiment Machine Gun Corps, East Yorkshire Regiment
Second corps East Yorkshire Regiment
Service record Soldier Number: 9112, Rank: Private, Corps: Machine Gun Corps
Second service record Soldier Number: 19804, Rank: Private, Corps: East Yorkshire Regiment

Was his wife Nellie Richio daughters Vera and Edith, son Willey?

If the names of wife and children are correct I have found the attestation document. No E initial on it that's why I'm asking.

EDIT - CONFIRMED AS WRONG MAN

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Aug 2017 06:11

A slice of history of the Machine Gun Corps

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/4982/machine-gun-corps/

Beth

Beth Report 1 Aug 2017 10:55

Hello PatinCyprius. Thank you but this may be the wrong person. His wife was called May Marion Robson. Married 1915, I think. His children were Edmond, James and Gladys.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Aug 2017 13:03

Did think it maybe the wrong one as no middle initial but the medal card is your grandfather's and it at least gives his regiments.

Looks like your grandfather's attestation papers are part of the records that were destroyed then.

Sorry about that but you do have a little extra knowledge now.

Beth

Beth Report 1 Aug 2017 13:09

Thank you for looking for me all the same.
:-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Aug 2017 15:05

:-D