Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Service records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 24 Sep 2017 23:07

HI
I`m trying to help my wife find a service record of her Great grandfather. His name was Albert Clements, born in Yoxford, Sufolk. His wife was called Lelia. One child was called Florence born 1915 in London.Albert is said to have been in The Royal Sussex Regiment and if this is the case there is a medal index of an Albert Clements of the Royal Sussex Reg` number SD2374 on the National Archives website. I wondering if anyone was able to find any service records of this man to confirm the connection
Many Thanks
nick

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Sep 2017 07:31

There are many Albert Clements,what was his date of birth, that may help. I have tried to search via Florence and Lelia.

Unfortunately over 70% of WW1 soldiers documents were destroyed in WW2 bombing. The medal cards survived so you may have the correct one.

I have 1 grandfather with his documents but the other only his medal card survives and I'm lucky - there are only 3 with his name and I knew his regiment which left me 2 and one of those died and his documentation is intact, so it's obvious which medal card is his.

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 25 Sep 2017 15:25

Hi. Albert was born in 1882. I`m not surprised you can`t it but i appreciate your help anyway
cheers

safc

safc Report 25 Sep 2017 17:10

Southdown Battalions 1914-1918 Transcription

Learn more
Print transcription
First name(s) Albert
Last name Clements
Service number 2374
Rank Private
Regiment Royal Sussex Regiment
Record set Royal Sussex Regiment, Southdown Battalions 1914-1918