Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfathers WW1 History

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 16 Dec 2017 22:50

Can anybody help please.......A cousin has just sent me a picture of our Grandfather FREDERICK GEORGE McDONALD (could be MacDonald) B1892 in London.....he is pictured on a horse with what looks like barracks behind him and gun carriages so unsure of location whether here or abroad.

She has also sent a picture of a WW1 certificate which says he was a Gunner with Royal Garrison Artillery....having previously ? during the war in Royal Fields Artillery.
It also states ' Served with honour and was disabled in the Great War' Honourably discharged on 8 June 1918.

Could anyone shed any light on where this may have been or where I can find out any further information about this.

Many thanks for any help
Sandra

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Dec 2017 06:44

Reference...

Chris :)

Silver War Badge Roll Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Frederick
Last name McDonald
Service number 193029
Rank Gunner
Badge number 384853
Enlistment date 18-Jun-1917
Discharge date 08-Jun-1918
Regiment/unit Royal Garrison Artillery 1 Res. By.
Cause of discharge Para 392 (xvi) King's Regulation. Para 2 (a) (i)
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 08-Jun-1918
Age on discharge 26

(reference xvi - No longer physically fit for war service)

http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/silver-war-badge

About UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920 (Ancestry)

Historical Background

The British Empire lost more than 700,000 service personnel killed in World War 1. An even greater number were discharged because of wounds or illness. In September 1916, King George V authorized the Silver War Badge (SWB) to honor all military personnel who had served at home or overseas since 4 August 1914 and who had been discharged because of wounds or illness. The SWB was a small, circular badge made of sterling silver, bearing the king’s initials, a crown, and the inscriptions ‘For King and Empire’ and ‘Services Rendered’.

The SWB was not simply an honor; it also served a practical purpose. At the time, men of military age who were not obviously in the service were sometimes accosted or insulted by civilians presenting them with white feathers — a symbol of cowardice — for shirking their patriotic duty. The badge served as an outward symbol that the wearer’s duty to country had been honorably fulfilled.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1319282

(his family)

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 17 Dec 2017 09:45

Hi Chris

Thank you so very much for giving me the information you found, I am really grateful. I did not even realise that my Grandfather had been in WW1 until I met with a cousin who had a photo and his certificate. Yes, you are right that was his family that I researched sometime ago, I will try and find out if I can where Frederick was now during his time in the Artillery.

Kind regards
Sandra

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2017 13:01

WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Name:
Frederick McDonald
Military Year:1914-1920
Medal Awarded:British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:Royal Garrison Artillery
Regimental Number:193029
Previous Units:Base Dtls. R.G.A. 193029 Gnr

Can't spot a full service record or a Pension Application. Its likely that his full service record was one of those destroyed as a result of WW2 bombing.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Dec 2017 16:22

(well a lot of images to read through, but below)

Chris :)

McDonald Frederick 1892 — 1918 British Army Service Records Leytonstone, Essex, England (Find My Past)

(says ) "fell from scaffold and injured foot in June 1914, called up in 6th June 1917 Went to France 6/11/17 and reported sick 8/12/17, in hospital till 2/1/18 when he was invalided to England and remained in hospital till 19/2/18".

Trade. Plasterer.
Address, 113, Longfellow Road, Walthamstow.
Next of kin. Charles and Alice (Father & Mother, as above address)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2017 17:15

If Sandra doesn't have a sub to FMP, many local libraries do. It might be worth enquiring then printing off all the pages.

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 17 Dec 2017 17:49

Thank you once again Chris and also Detective for the information, that is very interesting.....I will give my local library a visit and see what I can find out.

Kind regards
Sandra x