Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

april

april Report 13 Feb 2018 20:39

hi could anyone help me find my grandfather he was in the royal artillery I think during ww1 and ww2 I think he was a lieutenant but also there was a mention that he was a captain . I have tried to look for him in the military records but there is nothing... which I find really odd is there anyone who could give me some advice as where to start looking many thanks

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 13 Feb 2018 23:09

Welcome to GR April.

WW1 documents - over 70% of these were lost due to bombing in WW2.

Post 1920 documents are still with MOD but can be obtained it does cost £30 and you could have to wait for several months. Here's a link for you

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

:-)

april

april Report 14 Feb 2018 15:00

thank you for your quick response .. I will look into this kind regards April :-)

Peter

Peter Report 22 Feb 2018 19:10

Hi,

Who was your grandfather and what information do you have on him - like date and place of birth and year of marriage. If he joined up again then very likely his Great War service record was rolled into his WW2 papers, but there are checks that can be done and other potential sources for odd bits of information.

(Apologies if there is some button I should be pressing to see the information about your grandfather - I've not used the chatroom facility here before)

Cheers,
P.