Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Imperial service medal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 4 Nov 2018 15:40

Hi all,
Not really military but I didn't know where else to put this.

I have the medal and cert for my relative's Imperial service order.
Is there any way I can find out why she was awarded this?

It was awarded to my mothers aunt Irene Powell. It is also possible she was a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters.

Regards
Emily

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2018 17:44

This is what Wikipedia says:-

The Imperial Service Medal is a medal affiliated with the Imperial Service Order. The medal was established under the statutes of the Imperial Service Order, on 8 August 1902, by King Edward VII.[1] It is presented to selected civil servants who complete at least 25 years service, upon their retirement.

Kath. x

Emily

Emily Report 4 Nov 2018 17:46

Ah. Thank you. It didn't even occur to me to Google it. ??????

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2018 17:49

It doesn't really tell you what she did though, does it?

Kath. x

Emily

Emily Report 4 Nov 2018 18:02

I know she worked for the post office so I'm guessing that. ??

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2018 13:39

Employees of the GPO were Civil Servants.

The General Post Office was officially established in England in 1660 by Charles II and it eventually grew to combine the functions of state postal system and telecommunications carrier. Similar General Post Offices were established across the British Empire. Wikipedia
Founded: 1660
Headquarters: General Post Office, St Martin's le Grand, London EC2
Ceased operations: 1 October 1969
Parent agency: Government of the United Kingdom

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Nov 2018 17:09

It is one of the various honours awarded every year, and I would think it was for long service. She also probably was in a fairly senior position to get the "order" rather than the "medal".

They are listed in the Gazette, and as you know the year you could look it up. However, if there is no reason given on the certificate, then she probably didn't do anything spectacular - just worked hard all her life.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Nov 2018 17:56

I just looked up my Dad's listing for the ISM in the Gazette.

I'm not sure why, but the listing for him and several others in 1971 states that it relates to an award in 1969.
It gives rank and location, but no mention of the reason. I was always under the impression it was for dedicated long service.

If you search Irene's full name and Gazette in a Google search, you should be able to see her listed.

Emily

Emily Report 7 Nov 2018 19:04

Thank you everyone.