Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dennis Cecil Birkinshaw. Naval records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 11 Nov 2018 20:18

b. 29/06/1923 d.16/04/2004. Lived in Nottingham (was Lord Mayor and Sheriff of Nottingham in later years). Married to Carolyn Beauchamp.
I always remember my Grandad telling me he was in the navy and seeing a photo of him in his uniform but I cannot seem to find any records of this. Can anyone help please?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Nov 2018 21:46

The Royal Navy doesn't keep records of personnel who are no longer serving.

They are given to the person concerned when they leave the Service, so your best bet would be to ask whoever had his personal papers when he died.

I don't know what happens in the case of the Merchant Navy.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 11 Nov 2018 21:54

Hmmm I'm guessing that would be my father then who I no longer have contact with. Thank you for the reply though.

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 27 Nov 2018 09:16

If you write to the Royal Navy records department, they will only look for something if they have a letter from the next of kin.
If you can get that, then you can write to;
Naval Pay & Pensions (Accounts)
AFPAA (Centurion)
Centurion Building
Grange Road
Gosport
Hants
PO13 9XA

My father died in 1997 and I wrote to them on behalf of my mother. Having checked their records, they discovered that he had not claimed his Burma Star medal and sent it in the post to her. - 50 years late.
They also had his service certificate which showed all the ships and stations he served on.
As mentioned above, all Navy personnel carried their own record in the form of a wax'd cloth document A4 in size which they presented when they took up a new post. It was made of wax'd cloth so it was not damaged in the event of getting wet.

Hope this helps.