Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

First world war medals to replace

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


susan Report 21 Apr 2019 21:24

Where can I get replacement medals belonging to my father, from the First World War. They were stolen. I don't have his service number but know he was part of the 2nd Canadian expeditionary force.


ArgyllGran Report 22 Apr 2019 12:37

Per a Google search -
Seems only to be possible for medals awarded for service after WW1, per this result:

And from this link:

Replacing and claiming medals
It is Ministry of Defence policy to not issue medal replacements for service before 1920, irrespective of entitlement. You may be able to obtain duplicate medals from a coin or medal dealer

Following on from that - just a few of many companies offering to sell replacement medals:


Janice Report 25 Jul 2019 10:49

The Canadian Service records are online so you should be able to get his service number from that.

Keep your eye on ebay and similar websites for the actual medals. Regt number and initials are embossed round the edges.