Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My brother in the RAF.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


William Report 30 Mar 2021 16:00

My late elder brother served in the RAF as a National Serviceman circa 1949 to 1951. I believe his service No was 2427304. Is there anyone who can access records for more detail so that I can complete my brothers service details. I also later served in the RAF and I was able to get my details. However, even though he was my brother, they won't release his record to me.
Can any either help me or tell me how I can find out more. I have my Dad's and my three uncles service details but I am missing this one.


ErikaH Report 30 Mar 2021 16:05

Info at.........................

Have you been given a reason for the refusal?


KathleenBell Report 20 Apr 2021 10:35

This is what the government website says:-

Apply for the records of someone who's deceased

You can apply for a copy of someone else’s service records if any of the following apply:

You’re their immediate next of kin, for example their spouse or parent

You’ve got consent from their immediate next of kin <<<<<<<<<<<<<

You have a general research interest - you’ll only have access to limited information, unless they died more than 25 years ago

You need to know the person’s full name, date of birth and service number.

Fill in 2 forms - a request form and a search form.

So...if you are in contact with his next of kin and can get their permission you should be able to apply for the records. You may need a copy of his death certificate.

Kath. x


ErikaH Report 20 Apr 2021 12:08

Not exactly urgent.............. :-S :-S :-S :-S