Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help find a marriage - that's IF

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 11 Mar 2007 14:29

I need help finding a marriage between John Medcalf (Metcalf) and Ann Bignall though I wonder if they ever did marry. In the 1871 census in St Botolph John Metcalf 56, unmarried, Tanner, born Partney, Lincs Ann Bignall 33, Housekeeper, unmarried, born Paulerspury, Northants Ann M Bignall 8, born Lincoln Charles M Bignall 1, born Lincoln. By the following year Ann Bignall's death is registered as Ann Bignall Metcalf aged 35. I can't find a marriage for John Medcalf and Ann Bignall and can't trace the children either. Both children have a middle name beginning with M so I'm wondering if they were his children and had Medcalf as a middle name. Could Ann Bignall have been still unmarried when she died but John added Medcalf as her surname. Any ideas?

Emma

Emma Report 11 Mar 2007 15:12

I couldn't find a marriage for them, so it does look like they didn't marry. However... I did find these births which *might* be the children: Name: Charles Metcalf Year of Registration: 1870 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Louth County: Lincolnshire Volume: 7a Page: 568 Name: Mary Ann Medcalf Year of Registration: 1867 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Louth County: Lincolnshire Volume: 7a Page: 542 I know the daughter is on the census as Ann M, but it was common for people to use their middle name...

imp

imp Report 11 Mar 2007 15:17

This is an outside possibility, a death registered in 1874. Charles Metcalfe, born abt 1869, Registered 1874, Q1, aged 5 Lincoln, 7a 323 There is a birth of a Charles Metcalfe in Louth Reg in 1870 so.... Gail. x