Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking help Exeter 1841 please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 16:37

Did have access to ancestry, but not currently. Have just found what I think is the damsel I was seeking - hoping someone can tell me if I am on the right track..... Looking for Mary Ann Hill, born Exeter c. 1817/1818. She later marries John Thomas Avent born 1821, but he is at home with his Mum in 1841!! There are a lot of 'Hills' in Exeter!! Think 'my' Mary Ann has parents James Hill and Mary/Maria Woofe, possible with brothers Henry Ellis Hill born c. 1814 and James Wilcocks Hill born c. 1809. Will post below what else I think I know to save anyone searching for stuff I have already found. Will be around for at least half an hour, and then back first thing tomorrow. Many thanks, Maggie

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 16:43

My family, like others, helpfully use surnames as christian names (a later member of the family bears the name Woofe!!) so the below is based on that, and the fact that they seem to have been based around St Sidwells. Have found marriage for Henry to Maria Trott, and two sons William and Henry. Think Mary/Maria Woofe born c. 1774 may have had father and brother both named John - no clue as to mother. No clues as to who James Hill's parents might be. Brother John seems to have married a Hannah and had a son Thomas Wilcocks Woofe. There is another possible son, John, for John and Hannah, who marries Charlotte Davy and has two kids - Hannah Mary Jane Woofe and John Henry Woofe. Have found Mrs Hannah Woofe in 1850 living in Black Boy Road, St Sidwells. Think she is on 1851 census, and she appears to die in 1852. Here's hoping I have the right family to go after!!!!

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 17:09

Have to go do some real work now!! Will try and get back later, failing that will definitely be back in the morning. Have found a possible James Hill born St Sidwells, 14 Feb 1776 (is that an omen??!!) to James Hill and Elizabeth, but that of course could be a complete red herring!! Thanks to anyone who can help. Maggie

Vera

Vera Report 14 Feb 2007 17:11

Hi Maggie, Marriage Marriages Sep 1846 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hill Mary Ann Exeter 10 167 John Thomas Avent See what I can find on the 1841 for Mary Regards Vera

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 17:16

Vera, That's fab - thanks SO much!! Just found Thomas Wilcocks Woofe dying in 1854 just two years after his Mum..... Maggie

Vera

Vera Report 14 Feb 2007 17:29

Hi Maggie, 1841 I think this is Mary Anns brother and famiy....including their mother Maria ????? Charlott Hill abt 1816 Devon, England St Sidwell Devon Charlotte Hill abt 1840 Devon, England St Sidwell Devon Elizabeth Hill abt 1833 Devon, England St Sidwell Devon James Hill abt 1810 Devon, England St Sidwell Devon Maria Hill abt 1779 Devon, England St Sidwell Devon Unfortunately as you know the 1841 doesn't give relationships.....but I think Maria must be James's mother.......looks like James senior must have died....What do you think?? Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 14 Feb 2007 17:38

Hi Maggie, So far no right Mary Ann Hill ...1841.....but there are so many!!!! If she is working away from home, which it looks like she might be ...we have problems!!!! Hope you didn't work to hard.... we look back tomorrow(Thursday) :-)) Regards Vera Regards Vera

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 17:46

Vera, Thanks SO much for looking. Certainly seems to fit, tho I guess that puts paid to finding Mary Ann with her family. That's a big help - will have a ferret around the James and Charlotte thing. In 1851 and 1861 Mary Ann was at home looking after her family - in 1871 she was working as an upholstress which came to be a family business - wonder what she was up to in 1841....??!! Many thanks, Maggie

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 17:48

p.s., as you can see - haven't actually made it to the work bit yet - this is quite compulsive - really must put it down soon.....!!!

Vera

Vera Report 14 Feb 2007 17:49

Hi Maggie, I know what you mean....I should be cooking the dinner...my two are champing at the bit..... Isn't it frustrating when you get so far and then have to stop. Bye for now Regards V

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 14 Feb 2007 18:20

Just found a boy (James) who died young, born to James and Charlotte. Thanks Vera for pointing me in the right direction!! Maggie (who really IS going now to do something that hubby regards as more productive!!!!!)

Vera

Vera Report 14 Feb 2007 20:07

Hi Maggie, 1841 census Have found a Mary Hill aged 15 occupation...glover...one who makes and sells gloves !!! She is living in Black Torrington Devon. Poor James and Charlotte losing little James....so much infant mortality. Regards Vera

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 15 Feb 2007 06:41

Vera, Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to look for my Mary Ann. All other censuses suggest she was born around 1817 - IGI christening date is 15 Aug 1818, so I guess she would have been around the age of 24. My guess is that she would have been in or around Exeter in 1841 (unless she was in a residential occupation) - from what I know of Devon, Black Torrington is probably too far away from home. When I looked before I had the info about her parents I found several who might fit the bill - some who were with their parents as far as I can remember - guess it narrows the field if she is known NOT to be with her parents, altho that could make her impossible to find!! Have a great granddad who wasn't with his family in Leicester 1881 and can't find him for love nor money!!!!! Many thanks for your help, Maggie