Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find 1st wife of William Newbery-please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 2 Jan 2006 22:32

Hello, My greatgrandfather was a widower when he married his second wife Eliza Brown Symes on 08/09/1868 at Offord Rd Chapel, Islington. William was born in 1837 in Colyton, Devon. Can anyone help please.

Sue

Sue Report 2 Jan 2006 22:39

Hello Was William's father also called William - just trying to make sure I can track him properly through the census to obtain his place of marriage? Regards Sue

Jean

Jean Report 2 Jan 2006 22:47

Hello, William Newbery's full name is William Granger Newbery and he was a carpenter. His parents were William Newbery (a baker) born Southleigh, Devon and Sarah Granger b Broadhembury, Devon. I just don't know where to start looking for his deceased wife. Jean

Sue

Sue Report 2 Jan 2006 22:54

Hello Jean I think this is your family Hope it helps Regards Sue 1851 Census HO107/1862 Folio 592 Page 1 Colyton Devon William Newbery abt 1806 Southley Head Sarah Newbery abt 1812 Broadhembury Wife John Newbery abt 1837 Colyford Son William Newbery abt 1838 Colyford Son Samuel Newbery abt 1841 Colyford Son Edwin Newbery abt 1842 Colyford Son Albert Newbery abt 1844 Colyford Son Henry Newbery abt 1848 Colyford Son Jane Newbery abt 1850 Colyford Daughter 1861 Census RG9/1354 Folio 63 Page 8 Fordington, Dorchester, Dorset William Newberry abt 1837 Axminster, Devon, England Head Sarah Newberry abt 1839 Dorchester, Dorset, England Wife Henry Newberry abt 1857 Dorchester, Dorset, England Son Wm Newberry abt 1859 Dorchester, Dorset, England Son John Newberry abt 1860 Dorchester, Dorset, England Name: Newberry, William Record Type: Marriages Quarter: June Year: 1854 District: Dorchester County: Dorset Volume: 5a Page: 673 Marrying either Sarah STANDLEY or Sarah WELLSPRING

Fiona

Fiona Report 2 Jan 2006 22:59

Maybe not the Dorset one.........still married to Sarah in 1871 when it should be Eliza. Henry Newbery abt 1818 Fordington, Dorset, England Son Holy Trinity Dorset View Record John Newbery abt 1862 Fordington, Dorset, England Son Holy Trinity Dorset View Record Mary J Newbery abt 1863 Fordington, Dorset, England Daughter Holy Trinity Dorset View Record Maryann Newbery abt 1865 Fordington, Dorset, England Daughter Holy Trinity Dorset View Record Richard H Newbery abt 1868 Fordington, Dorset, England Son Holy Trinity Dorset View Record Roseanna Newbery abt 1870 Fordington, Dorset, England Daughter Holy Trinity Dorset View Record Sarah Newbery abt 1840 Fordington, Dorset, England Wife Holy Trinity Dorset View Record William Newbery abt 1837 Axminster, Dorset, England Head Holy Trinity Dorset View Record William Newbery abt 1859 Fordington, Dorset, England Son Holy Trinity Dorset View Record William Rd Newbery abt 1853 Fordington, Dorset, England Nephew Holy Trinity Dorset

Jean

Jean Report 2 Jan 2006 23:01

Dear Sue, Thankyou so much for your help. I had assumed that there weren't any children from the first marriage. Just shows how wrong you can be - doesn't it. Thank you very much and a happy new year to you. Best wishes Jean

Fiona

Fiona Report 2 Jan 2006 23:03

Is this him in 1871? Eliza B Newbury abt 1844 Chard, Somerset, England Wife Islington St Andrew London Sarah A Newbury abt 1870 Islington, Middlesex, England Daughter Islington St Andrew London William Newbury abt 1839 Colyford, Devon, England Head Islington St Andrew London Elizabeth P Symes abt 1835 Chard, Somerset, England Sister-in-law Islington St Andrew London

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 2 Jan 2006 23:09

if 1861 is right where did his son's go 1871? jeanette

Fiona

Fiona Report 2 Jan 2006 23:12

Hi Jean, The 1861 one can't be him!! Under that one I put the 1871 for that family and he's still married to Sarah!!! Regards Fiona.

Fiona

Fiona Report 2 Jan 2006 23:17

1861. Occ Carpenter. Unmarried. Name: William Newbry Age: 23 Estimated birth year: abt 1838 Relation: Lodger Household: View other family members Gender: Male Where born: Colinton, Dorset, England Civil parish: Beaminster Ecclesiatical parish: Beaminster Town: Beaminster County/Island: Dorset Country: England Street address: View Image Condition as to marriage: View Image Education: View Image Employment status: View Image Occupation: View Image Source information: RG9/1365 Registration district: Beaminster Sub-registration district: Beaminster ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Folio: 40 Page: 8

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jan 2006 16:21

Thank you all so much for taking the time and trouble to try to help. If anyone has any other ideas, I would very much appreciate hearing from them. I have tried looking up marriages at the Family records office but there were too many Wm Newberys but at least I now know that it must be between 1861 and Sep 1868. Thanks everyone.

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jan 2006 16:33

To F C M Yes, you have got the right one. Eliza had a daughter Sarah Ann and a sister Elizabeth. I still don't know the name of his first wife., but I will try looking in Dorset for the marriage. At least it gives me a starting point. I had looked in Islington and Devon but Dorset could be the place to look.I am sure that there weren't any children from the 1st marriage because they are not with the family later on. Jean