Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with 1901 census please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Squiggles

Squiggles Report 31 Dec 2005 08:58

Please see below!

Squiggles

Squiggles Report 31 Dec 2005 09:06

I wonder if anybody could help me to find a Millissa/Malessa SHARMAN who married a BIRD in Dec 1893 quarter in W. Bromwich (6b 1243) on the 1901 census. I've found a birth ref for her as follows: Sep 1873 West Bromwich 6b 769 Malessa SHARMAN Her daughter, with an equally unusual spelling of the first name was born as follows: Mellissa Maud BIRD on 26 Oct 1907 in Rawnsley, Cannock, Staffs. The birth certificate for the daughter confirms parents as a William BIRD and Mellissa BIRD formerly SHARMAN. I've been able to find other BIRD children with maiden mother as SHARMAN from 1911 onwards when the records contained maiden names for mothers, but I've had no luck finding the parents William and Mellissa/Malessa in the 1901 census, with any earlier born children If anybody could locate them for me, I would be eternally grateful!! Thanks for any help, Louise x

Elaine

Elaine Report 31 Dec 2005 09:16

Have you got a date and place of birth for William Bird? - and occupation?

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Dec 2005 09:20

Louise just for reference is this her in 1891? Sharman, Elizabeth abt 1862 St, Darlaston Wife Aston Warwickshire Sharman, Isaac Wm abt 1859 Wb, Grebbs Green Head Aston Warwickshire Sharman, Melissa abt 1874 Wb, Greebs Green Sister Aston Warwickshire Georgina.

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Dec 2005 09:21

1881 melissa~possibly View Record Edward Sharman abt 1875 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Son 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England View Record Emma Sharman abt 1830 Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, England Wife 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England View Record Isaac Sharman abt 1861 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Son 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England View Record John Sharman abt 1863 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Son 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England View Record Milissa Sharman abt 1873 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Daughter 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England View Record Richard Sharman abt 1828 Stockton, Warwickshire, England Head 5 Greets Green Rd, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England ********************************************************************88 Given the birthplace and the address in 1881 , this and the 1891 above look to be the same person anyway

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Dec 2005 09:27

Can see her brother john in 1901 with a daughter melissa of his own..Ggrrrrrrr

Elaine

Elaine Report 31 Dec 2005 09:32

A long shot! 1901 census - could this be a second name/nickname for Melissa ?? Millie? Emily ?? Emily Bird abt 1874 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Wife West Bromwich Staffordshire Emma Bird abt 1895 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire Selina Bird abt 1900 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire William Bird abt 1874 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Head West Bromwich Staffordshire - Occupation Forge Labourer William Bird abt 1897 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Son West Bromwich Staffordshire Jos Reynolds abt 1874 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Boarder West Bromwich Staffordshire

Squiggles

Squiggles Report 31 Dec 2005 09:34

Sorry guys, I should have included her whereabouts on earlier census in my original post. Here is what I know about her: Residence 1881 - 5 Greets Green Road, West Bromwich, Staffs (daughter, aged 8) 1891 - 8 Victoria Terrace, Landry Street, Saltley, Warwicks (unmarried sister, aged 17) 4th Dec 1907 - 20 Rawnsley Buildings, Hednesford, Staffs (Source: Birth Cert of daughter Mellissa Maud BIRD) Occupation 1891 - Machinist As for husband William BIRD, I know little about him so finding him with wife in 1901 is what I need to be able to find his birth year, occupation etc. Thanks again for all your help! Louise :O)

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Dec 2005 09:39

Why dont you purchase the marriage cert?

Elaine

Elaine Report 31 Dec 2005 09:41

Does the birth certificate for the daughter (b 1907) give the father´s place of birth and his occupation?

Squiggles

Squiggles Report 31 Dec 2005 09:49

Jess, The marriage cert will be on order shortly! Re birth certificate for daughter Mellissa Maud 26/10/1907 - it shows father as William BIRD, a coal miner living at 22 Rawnsley Buildings, Hednesford, Staffs - registration date 4/12/1907 I do appreciate everyone's efforts, thank you!! Louise x

Squiggles

Squiggles Report 28 Jan 2006 19:09

Update! I now have a copy of the marriage certificate for William BIRD and Millissa SHARMAN and can you believe, I still can't trace them in 1901, or even William as a young boy with his family! William BIRD was 20 years old when he married Millissa SHARMAN (aged 21) on 24/12/1893 in West Bromwich, Staffs. This would place his year of birth at around 1873. Both bride and groom were living in Swan Village, West Bromwich at the time of the marriage and William was a collier. His father is listed as Alfred Bird, a collier also. Sadly,neither marriage witness was a BIRD so no useful potential brother or sister names :O( One step forward, two steps back lol!