Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

City of London 1841 Census page please? I have

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 12 Sep 2005 13:09

I have been given extracts from this Census page as being H_719-2 69 (that's exactly as quoted to me), which refers to the Rignall family. It could show Thomas Rignall as head, but should include Thomas Rignall (12) and Richard Rignall (4) at London Within The Walls, London Within The Walls. All and any assistance given would be highly appreciated by a newbie in Oz. (But UK born and bred!). George Rignall

Judith

Judith Report 12 Sep 2005 13:34

Hi George, The household in Jeffrey Square, parish of St Andrew Undershaft , city of London (within the walls) consisted of Thos. Mortlock 30 post office messenger Ann Mortlock 30 Thos. Rignall 12 Richd. Rignall 4 Margaret Lowe 15 F S (female servant) Thomas and Ann were not born in the county, but young Thomas, Richard and Margaret were.

Merry

Merry Report 12 Sep 2005 14:45

Oh ''George'' - that's flippin' annoying isn't??! [UPDATE several hours after this message was first added - Don't worry George, just keep reading, it gets a whole lot better further down this thread.........] Judith, I'm interjecting here as George is probably asleep! George has Richard Rignall from 1861 onwards, but was hoping he and Thomas would be with their mum and dad!!! (Thomas and Philadelphia Rignall - are the names we think they are) No hope of looking for them I suppose? No Index?? Maybe they are dead :o(( Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Sep 2005 15:15

George, I know you are not yet as confident as I am that Thomas and Philadelphia are the parents of your Richard James Rignall, but whilst I noticed it, I thought I had better pass this on..... From Pallot's Marriage index. Thomas Rignall (bachelor) married Philadelphia Ann Warman (spinster) at St Mary's Whitechapel in 1828. And Philadelphia came from Kent (from IGI): PHILADELPHIA ANN WARMAN Birth: Christening: 02 OCT 1808 Tonbridge, Kent, England Parents: Father: EDM WARMAN Family Mother: SAR Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. Merry

Judith

Judith Report 12 Sep 2005 15:18

I guess George already got the reference from someone with access to the 1841 index but I had a look. No Thomas apart from the 12 year old, and no sign of Philadelphia, who I tried with Phil and Fil followed by a wild card in case of mistranscription. I tried some other spellings of the surname as well. Sadly the index won't allow us to input just a first name otherwise I might have tried to look for all Philadelphias - there can't have been many I shouldn't think!

Judith

Judith Report 12 Sep 2005 15:20

Just seen Merry's second message. Could Philadelphia have remarried to Thos Mortlock and be using her middle name Ann? Deaths Sep 1837 RIGNALL Thomas London 2 209 Marriages Dec 1840 FREEMAN Thomas E. London 2 178 FRETHEY Walter E London 2 178 HUDSON Richard E. London 2 178 RIGMAL Philadelphia Anne Et. London 2 178 Taylor Mary Ann E. London 2 178 VALE Ann E London 2 178 WILLIAMS Honor E. London 2 178 Marriages Dec 1840 BLAKE Ann E London 2 179 CULLEN Thomas E. London 2 179 DOODEY George E. London 2 179 GALT Emily Et. London 2 179 GREEN Sarah E. London 2 179 LLOYD Celia E. London 2 179 MITCHELL William E. London 2 179 Morris James E. London 2 179 Mortlock Thomas E. London 2 179 As there are only 7 entries for page 178 and 9 for 179 I'd take a guess that Thomas Mortlock's page number may have been mistranscribed UPDATE Have just looked at original scan and yes, Thomas entry does read page 178.

Merry

Merry Report 12 Sep 2005 16:35

Oh, that's BRILLIANT Judith!!!!!!! So George - there you have it!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Sep 2005 16:40

So Philadelphia Ann Warman became Mrs Rignall and then Mrs Mortlock. Here is her death reg: Name: Mortlock, Philadelphia Ann Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 69 Quarter: June Year: 1877 District: Chelsea (1841-1981) County: Greater London London Middlesex Volume: 1a Page: 195 Here she is in 1871 (can't find her, looking quickly, in 1861) So she had some more children with her new husband: Emily Lepper abt 1848 Wye, Kent, England Visitor Paddington London Charles T Mortlock abt 1842 St Andrew's Under Shaft City Son Paddington London Edward Mortlock abt 1845 Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England Son Paddington London Philadelphia Mortlock abt 1808 Tunbridge, Kent, England Head Paddington London Merry

George

George Report 13 Sep 2005 00:27

Wow! Thanks, everybody, for these replies - I've just cranked up my computer after a night's rest, so will digest all this infomation as soon as the brain wakes up (blame the cricket - fantastic result !!!!!!!), then each of you will receive a big thank you from me. Back a bit later - George