Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841/1851 Census look up for Yorkshire please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 5 Oct 2004 22:16

(see message below)

Andy

Andy Report 5 Oct 2004 22:16

Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone can find the following family for me on the 1841 census Thomas PORRITT, Head, M, aged 35 possibly, though may be rounded down to 30. Farmer. Yorkshire born. Ruth PORRITT, Wife, M, aged 35 possibly, though may be rounded down to 30. Yorkshire born. William PORRITT, Son, aged 10. Yorkshire born (Moorsholm) Jane PORRITT, Daug, aged 8. Yorks born (Moorsholm) Ruth PORRITT, Daug, aged 6. Yorks born (Moorsholm) Mary PORRITT, Daug, aged 4. Yorks born (Moorsholm) Hannah PORRITT, Daug, aged 1. Yorks born (Moorsholm) I think the address is likely to be Round Close, Guisborough. Thomas & Ruth had another daughter, Margaret on the 2nd May 1841 and whilst Margaret was born at Moorsholm, Thomas gave Round Close, Guisborough as his address. If anyone is also able to find them on the 1851 census, assuming they haven't moved then that'd be great. Many thanks Andy

Lynda

Lynda Report 5 Oct 2004 23:01

Hi Thanks for your kind offer I wonder if you could look up the following family on both census' for me? They should be in Skeckling-cum-Burstwick. Unfortunately there are many permutations of their surname: Harness/Harniss/Harnass all can be spelt with 1 s. so I will understand if it's too tall an order for you. William Harness Head year and place of birth unknown Mercy Wife b. c1814 Skeckling Elizabeth b. c1832 Burton Pidsea George Matthew b. c1837 Burton Pidsea William b. c1839 birthplace not known John b. c1841 Skeckling Many thanks Lyn Haye

Andy

Andy Report 5 Oct 2004 23:08

Sorry Lynda, I'm in the same boat!

Lynda

Lynda Report 5 Oct 2004 23:40

Andy Sorry, It' getting late and I havn't got my glasses on (Thats my excuse anyway) lol. I totaly miss read your message Ho Hum never mind I,m sure we will find our respective info. one day. Lyn

John

John Report 6 Oct 2004 00:07

Hi Andy, no thomas porritt on1851 born or in Moorsholm,there was this ,if it helps,William Porritt age 60 born Moorsholm,William Hebron Porritt,34,born Kirkburton,Ann Porritt 30,born Skelton,Elizabeth Porritt 8 born Skelton,all living in same household in Moorsholm(there may be others).North Riding Census 1851,piece 2375,folio 79,all in Moorsholm also have this family in Easby,piece 2376 folio 155, Christopher Porritt 36 born Mickleby Mary 28,born Whorlton Ruth 16,born Moorsholm Hannah 9,born Easby William S. 7,born Easby Jane 6,born Easby Mary 2,born Easby hope these help, Regards, John

Andy

Andy Report 6 Oct 2004 07:49

Hi John, Thanks for finding those although whether they fit in with my tree yet, I don't know. Moorsholm is a fairly small village yet a lot of my ancestors came from there, however on this occasion, I feel that Thomas & Ruth Porritt are in Guisborough even though it lists Margarets birth at Moorsholm. The Porritt surname is fairly rampant in these parts and I've already got 3 separate instances of it in my tree though I can't tell whether there is any immediate connection between all three. Thanks again, Andy.

Jools

Jools Report 6 Oct 2004 08:27

Andy - found them on 1841, email on way. Jools