Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Chicken

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 23 Jan 2008 22:18

Can anyone advise on the next step please. I know that my great great grandfather was called John Chicken and his wife was Ann. IGI suggests that he was born on Jan 1st 1812 and christened on Jan 26th 1812. The same record gives his parents as Thomas Chicken and Elizabeth Carter.
I can find a number of Thomas Chickens of about the right sort of age but how can I be sure of which one is the right one?
The 1841 census has a Thomas Chicken living at Haswell with a Jane Chicken who's 10 yrs younger than him. His age is given as 57 which would put his birth about 1784. I've found one on IGI for 1783 at Tanfield whose father was John, which would fit with the pattern of naming in the family.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I proceed here.

Thanks in advance
Maureen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 23 Jan 2008 23:33

Unless you can eliminate all other possibilities it will be difficult to be 100%.

You can order the films to your local Mormon church and then work through them. So baptisms forwards and backwards from your man to track all the other children. (These should appear on IGI but sometimes are transcribed weirdly so no guarantee that you will spot them that way for sure.)

You can search IGI by that film number to spot any other siblings (bearing in mind the odd spelling variations you might get with a name like Chicken(s).) So do that first to see where - in a possible run of several children - your chap fits in. That will help pinpoint the date of the marriage. Never assume that they married before the baptism of the first child - but if they were the only family of that name in that area then it's very likely that the couple you have found marrying are the ones you are after. If they are not the only family with that name then you do need to "eliminate".

This assumes (which is dangerous) that they stayed in the same area ...

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 23 Jan 2008 23:41

Found these pre-1812:

WILLIAM CHICKEN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 31 DEC 1809 Heworth, Durham, England
2. JOHN CHICKEN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 26 JAN 1812 Heworth, Durham, England
3. ANNE CHICKEN - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 29 MAY 1808 Heworth, Durham, England

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 23 Jan 2008 23:42

Possible marriage that fits with siblings above:

THOMAS CHICKEN Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH CARTER Family
Marriage:
05 SEP 1807 Jarrow, Durham, England

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Jan 2008 04:32

Maureen.
Some members get hot under the collar when they see the same request on more than 1 board.
Most people trying to help will be looking at all the boards. What you dont want is members looking up the same information as its a waste of their time

Suggest you remove one message before you feel the lash of someones tongue

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 24 Jan 2008 08:29

Jill,
Thanks very much for all that advice. We have a Mormon church not too far away so I think that's my next move - to get in touch with them and arrange to look at the relevant film.
Also thanks for the look ups.
Maureen

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 24 Jan 2008 08:30

Margaret,
I've taken your advice and removed it from the other board.
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that in future.
Maureen