Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So many success stories for me.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 15 Feb 2011 23:48

I have been a member from praticaly the beginning of Genesreunited,have helped several people and would say about 90% of people in Uk have a relative on here.
Here is three of my own personal successes.
in 2003 while looking noticed my cousins name,I had not been in contact since i was 15,i was 55,it turned out to be her daughter,I was put in contact with my cousin and subsequently visited her in Australia,twice in 2003 and 2006 it was lovely to see her and she was able to tell me so much about my fathers family that i would never have known otherwise,sadly she died last year but was so glad to have had that time with her.
then in January 2006 my husband was diagnosed with cancer,I had spent several years trying to trace his younger brother who was adopted,then luckily in December 2005 the law changed allowing siblings to search for family and was able to find out his brothers adopted name ,within half an hour of been given the name,through genesreunited i found his brothers name,it was put on by his ex wifes daughter,she put me in touch with his son and we were speaking that evening,his brother had died a few years earlier but my husband met his brothers children,saw pictures of him and even heard a tape of him singing,my husband died a few months later but at least he knew about his brother,sadly another brother we have been unable to trace.
then in 2007 i was looking on genesreunited,noticed a name that rang a distant bell,so contacted the person who put it on and it turned out that the person who,s name was on there was an older brother of mine who had been brought up by an aunt and uncle I had never met,he was thrilled to find he had a sister and made arangements to meet,two days before our first meeting he was in abroad haveing a meeting with the Dali Llamma but said this was just as important to him,when we met for the first time ever in our lives,i was 58 and he 76,we are still very much in contact and when together it is as if we had known each other all our lives,he is 79 now and a character,loves disco danceing every Saturday and Kareoke on Sundays,I could go on with so many success stories not only for myself but others I have helped,Genesreunited dose something that no other site can even come close to doing,it reunites people,without this site it would be impossible,I allways direct people to it,I have a large family tree on the internet but 90% of the photo,s on there are down to relations I have met on genesreunited and have posted pictures on it,one great story is my husbands great grandmother,who,s cousin was deported to Australia as a convict in 1838,a lot of the family are on genesreunited,all in Australia and I was able to fill the English side in for them a bit.
so thank-you for a wonderful site,it has to be the only site that reunites liveing ancestry,bringing it to live as opposed to looking at bits of paper with writeing on and enabling us as in my case to see pictures of ancestors.
kind regards
Joyce