Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wendy Fitton's success story

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wendyskn

wendyskn Report 1 Nov 2003 18:56

Thanks to Genes Connected I have just spent a wonderful weekend with my “long lost cousins”. In the summer I contacted a son of my mums cousin from the website, who in turn put me in contact with his dad and uncle. When I initially started to research my family tree, my Nana told me her eldest brother had been married twice. He had 3 sons from his first marriage but unfortunately the middle one died as a baby. When his first marriage broke up (we don't know the reasons why) he lost contact with his other sons. (again we will never know the reasons why) My great uncle for some reason changed his name and hyphenated his last Christian name and surname to create a double-barreled name. He then remarried but he and his wife never told their own two children that they had older half brothers. My Nana died in 1992 and her brother died in 1997 and his wife died 3 weeks later. Imagine the surprise of the 2nd family to learn they had just lost both parents but discovered from my mum at their mothers’ funeral that they had 2 brothers. It was only out of curiosity that I spotted a name virtually the same as my great uncles on the website and managed to identify the relatives from the Christian names my Nana had given me. The two brothers and their half brother and sister have yet to meet but they have spoken to each other and exchanged photographs. Lets hope they all meet up soon and have a great time catching up on all those missing years! Just a shame that my Nana and uncle are not around to celebrate too!