Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Martin Bainbridge's success story

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bainbridge007

Bainbridge007 Report 25 Feb 2004 00:46

With the help of Gennsconnected we found our long lost cousin who was fostered following the death of her father (my uncle) in 1934. Avryl (cousin) was living at grandmothers home with her father pending divorce from his wife. Before completion of the legalities Avryl's father died in a tragic motorbike accident, she was only 18 months old. Following the funeral Avryl’s mother took her from grandmother assuring she would be safely returned by nightfall. The mother was not true to her word. Legal advisors told my grandmother that she had no rights to re-claim her grandaughter. The mother eventually left her with her sister who could not cope. Avryl was placed into children’s homes. Grandmother visited her regularly before losing contact and was told Avryl had probably gone with the large exodus of children to Canada! After years of searching I found Avryl in South London during the 1950’s. A friend recommended Gennsconnected to me in January. We identified a member researching Avryl’s married sir name and made contact. During a series of emails and telephone calls we confirmed the probability of a family link. At our first meeting, letters from the 'Waifs and Strays' confirmed we were indeed cousins! She had no knowledge of any living relatives, believing for 70 years she had no one! Our family has reconnected with Avryl and is truley grateful to this web site. Without the help of such a user-friendly set-up I would never have found my cousin! I highly recommend investing the £7 membership fee. It paid off for me in the first week! Thank you Gennsconnected team! Martin Bainbridge