Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding grandma's Russian birth father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 12 Oct 2014 13:38

Thanks to suggestions from GR members we found a court ordered Affiliation document with nana's father's full name George Jacob Fellman . we were then able to follow his trace on census to Wales where his photo was on his 1918 alien registration order more details + another photo came from his hospital admission records 1920 which gave his birthplace in Russia + that he was 2nd eldest of 12 siblings and named his sister Rebecca Bloch as next of kin.
Her Scottish death certificate gave both her parents names +confirmed some of our suppositions .
My advice would be to always get documents if you can ,if we'd been satisfied with just knowing dates for events such as alien registration +death we would not have been able to join the dots to go back another 2 generations in Russia .My original hope was to find half -siblings of my grandmother ....but her father seems to have remained single .....I'd still like to find descendents of his possible siblings .