Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname search problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 31 May 2011 18:15

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but the new search giving loads of variations on a suername is driving me mad.

For instance, I was looking for someone named Ann Ham and did +/- 1 year. There were dozens of pages to wade through because it included everyone whose name started with Ham..........

Kense

Kense Report 31 May 2011 18:24

I agree it is a problem for me with Robins where the results get swamped by Robinsons.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2011 19:42

and Park ....... that included not only names beginning with Park, but also Perkes

Christine2

Christine2 Report 1 Jun 2011 09:42

Thank you for the replies. I'm pleased to hear it isn't just me.

Surely it would be better to go back to just the name we ask for. If we think there may be a variation in spelling we are all quite capable of trying others without looking at dozens that aren't even close.

Do GR read these suggestion threads does anyone know please?

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jun 2011 10:53

An tick box for exact surname comparisons would give us some control over the process.

Yes GR do read these suggestions and some (uncontroversial ones) have been implemented in the last few days.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 1 Jun 2011 11:18

Thank you KSE :)

I do hope they do something, as everytime I found a new ancestor I used to check on here to see if anyone else had them. Now I just haven't got the time to trawl all those pages.