Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dissapointed in service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 15 Jun 2011 13:49

I have recently upgraded my account so to find out more and build my tree. I am really unhappy with the cost in credits that some records are and especially unhappy with since paying to look at certain records and attaching to family members that I can't seem too open them. I really do hope that I'm not expected to pay again. I'm also not happy with paying to open a census record to find that I'll have to pay more to see the rest of it (rest of household). All in all I'm dissapointed with what you get.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 15 Jun 2011 20:55

Have you downloaded the viewer, if memory serves, this is at the top of the image page, I think left.

It also depends on what you are searching for. I know you've paid for records on this site but

www.freebmd.org.uk
www.freecen.org.uk

The online parish clerks are also a good source of free records.

Also you could contact support at

[email protected]

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Jun 2011 23:18

If you have upgraded from Free to Standard, then you won't be able to look at records without buying credits (apart from the free ones).

If you have upgraded to Platinum you should be able to see them all. If you can't then you should follow TootyFruity's advice and contact GR.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Jun 2011 08:15

Any records that you view and wish to be permanently available need to be stored on your PC (and regularly backed up).

Michael

Michael Report 20 Jun 2011 10:09

I'm a standard member and knew what I could see and not see. I have used other sites and on looking at census records they give you the whole record not just bits. I just think they are squeezing more money out of you than is needed. I won't be upgrading with this site again.

jax

jax Report 20 Jun 2011 10:58

If you dont wish to use the boards or send any messages there was no need to upgrade if you were planning on buying credits to view anything...I would think?

jax

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 20 Jun 2011 12:17

I think this is a great site although I don't use it for records I subscribe to Ancestry and FMP for those as well as the free sites.

I wouldn't buy credits I would be more inclined to subscribe as I think this is always a better option financially per record.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 20 Jun 2011 12:51

I don't think any other sites give you more census details than on here without paying something?

jax

jax Report 20 Jun 2011 13:01

I think Michael may mean if you want to go back or forward a page perhaps you have to pay for another view? if the children are on one page but the parents could be on the previous one?

jax

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 20 Jun 2011 18:15

To pay for the next page is common practice for pay per view sites. It is exactly the same on Scotlandspeople where there are no subscription option. Also technically the next page is a new record :-)

Michael

Michael Report 20 Jun 2011 18:28

If you check a census record it should give you the persons name adress what they did and who else was at that address. Genes reunited just give you persons details. You then have to pay for further info. They should just do one charge for the whole record. You look at a census to confirm address and family members, just one persons info doesnt help with anything

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 20 Jun 2011 19:08

If you look at the image it shows the full page the same as on findmypast and ancestry. On both these sites the transcriptions show a household and occasionally people are missed off. You can step through the images with a subscription on these sites.

It is a long time since I looked at records on this site but seem to remember the transcription was just of that particular person but not the household however I could be wrong. Having said that I would always look at the image because family members lived in the same street.

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Jun 2011 19:10

I have used same spare credits I had on here and after I found a census entry I was given 2 options:-

1, to view the individual - which gave me a transcription for that person only

2, to view the image - which showed me the census image [the whole page] but to do that you have to have Adobe reader installed

how you would view a page before/after I'm not sure as I don't nomally use this site for getting records, only for the wonderful help the members give with brickwalls