Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Report Abuse!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sox1

sox1 Report 17 Jun 2011 10:12

Genes Reunited.

The "Report Abuse" Should be taken from above the threads message box.

And sent to you via a complaints section. And not have threads taken immediatly of.
ie

I put a thread regarding my Grt Aunt Alice Wilkie. Of which I have not placed before. ever.
But hey presto, an hour later it was taken to review.

Why are you allowing this to happen.

There was nothing detrimental to anyone. or living relative!
As my Aunt was born in 1893!

Do not allow every Tom, Dick & Harry. To mar the equilibrium of your site.

You seem to have quite a few disgruntled members. Including myself.

And many more that are very happy with your site. As I was.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 17 Jun 2011 11:55

Although in your case there was no need for your post to be reported this is not always the case and I prefer posts to be removed for review rather than remaining in sight until the review is completed. Better to have an innocent post removed temporarily than an offensive post remain on the board

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2011 12:04

The recent change to take threads off immediately was as a result of canvassing members for their views for improvements to the boards. There was obviously a consensus from members that this was seen as a good thing to do.....!

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 17 Jun 2011 12:14

i like the idea that the post automatically goes to GR for reveiw, as some posts deem removing stright away, to stop eople replying to it coursing more, "trouble"

altho i dont agree wiht people reporting posts that dont need reporting, but thats for GR to sort out lol

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 17 Jun 2011 12:47

I'd imagine your post being reported had more to do with the fault in the programming than anything malicious sox, as there clearly is a problem with it, it's not quite right yet.

But looking at the history, and I've been here a lot longer than my profile says, (first joined in 2005), the complaints were once through the complaints system separate from any of the boards, and back then any offenders who were seen as persistent, were sent on an 8 week holiday. The reporting sustem wasn't abused then, simply (Ithink) because people forgot to confirm it after pressing 'send', so the reports possibly didn't go through all the time.
On updating the site, GR then added 'request review' to the threads, which meant that threads were reported more often, but were not removed, and believe me, some of the very offensive threads I have seen, may not have been removed by GR for up to three days...especially as Friday night is often the day for bad behaviour on the boards.
So this sytem in my opinion is much better, in that offensive, or potentially offensive posts DO get removed immediately (first come first served in some cases perhaps), until they are reviewed and either permanently removed or reinstated. This also means that unlike the previous reporting system, GR staff are HAVING to look at the posts that are reported, and not just removed them willy nilly as it became blatantly obvious they did before. :-D

sox1

sox1 Report 17 Jun 2011 13:06

I agree with all comments.

But in my case, rather annoying. But although I had a fantastic response. To my thread. From some wondeful peole here. And a conclusion was had.

I do not feel comfortable forwarding another thread.

As you say Theresa W. There are real problem threads.

In my opinion there should be a - 3 or more contact by GR users to complain. Therefore innocent people would not (maybe!) get frustrated.

And notification to GR on the 3rd.!

I do not know. There will always be a problem I suppose.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 17 Jun 2011 13:16

I think that's fair, three reports before post is removed for review...

Puts me in mind of Britains got Talent :-D

sox1

sox1 Report 17 Jun 2011 13:24

XXX! GR got talent! ;-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 17 Jun 2011 13:54

i thnk thats a good suggestion, that a certian numer has to report before it goes x

philmoir

philmoir Report 17 Jun 2011 14:37

Although the title of the thread isn't obvious, there is already quite a long discussion on the "report" option.

"Vindictive Post reporting YOU RISK BEING BANNED"

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1270425

This "multiple reporting" is good suggestion and I will add that to my list of things that we at GR should consider. See posting on page 6 of the above named thread.

sox1

sox1 Report 17 Jun 2011 15:20

Thank you for your acknowledgement Phil.

I still wonder why my thread was taken out though. Suppose I shall never know.

I do hope you consider 3 reports. Before it's taken off.

Kind regards
sox1

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Jun 2011 17:11

I hope GR in their infinate wisdom concider a reported post purely on their own verdict and not to quell the ever increasing thirst of members who just feel a post shouldnt be there or wish to be the site censors of whats posted.