Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Suggested Suggestion!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Jun 2011 05:15

The preamble at the top of the Suggestions Board states:

"This board is for you to add your suggestions for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited. We will be unable to respond to each post individually, but we will be checking the suggestions regularly and taking your suggestions on board"

In my opinion, when a suggestion is placed on the board it ishould be immediately closed to any further comment other than that provided by GR staff.

The Suggestion board is becoming a duplicate of the General Chat board and is losing its raison de etre.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 19 Jun 2011 06:11

I disagree, if someone makes a suggestion it is far better to let members debate the merits of each suggestion so that a balance of opinion can be reached and so aid GR when deciding what members really want.

Okay at the moment this board is a bit of a whinge at GR board because of the problems of late but once that is sorted then this is the place to "speak" to GR about improvements members would like.

To read all the boards GR will need a dedicated member of staff if not a few and as this is the board they have dedicated for them to hear our views then members should make an effort in making it work

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 19 Jun 2011 12:59

and also if the thread is open, other members can add support to a particular topic rather than starting yet another thread and losing others off the bottom of the page.

Kense

Kense Report 19 Jun 2011 15:07

"The Suggestion board is becoming a duplicate of the General Chat board and is losing its raison de etre."

The Suggestions board is nothing like the General Chat board thank goodness. On General Chat frony page there is only one thread about the Troubles and that is a sticky.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Jun 2011 18:32

Aunty S, Absolutely,

Most of what appears on the Suggestions board here are not suggestions at all, they are whinges and moans and debates about problems with the site, whether or not someone has posted on the right board or mentioned what colour their grandma''s pants were in public. etc, etc, etc

THESE ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS.

In fact the odd handful of sensible suggestions are now lost in the mire of all this drivel.

To add to what AS says in her opening post I might also suggests

1:- GR monitor the board on a regular basis, perhaps one a week and delete any threads that are not suggestions or move them to another chat board.

2:- GR respond to all proper and sensible suggestions each week at which point the thread is frozen to further posts. Their response will indicate whether or not the idea will be added to the list for future developments or is discarded, stating the reason why.

philmoir

philmoir Report 19 Jun 2011 18:55

inspector gp and others, funnily i was thinking about the evolvement of this board only minutes before i saw this thread. Firstly the title should possibly be renamed suggestions & bugs. Secondly when you go to add a new thread, rhere should be a drop down with 2 options as per title, suggestion or bug. thirdly, and this requires care, the title should clearly try to indicate the subject. i.e. if bug - site requires re-login or if suggestion - changes to report feature. Fourth, after entering title it should automatically check for similar posts in board and warn if possible repeat. obviously this needs bit of thought. and it also needs something similar to mark as answered such as fixed,implemented, under review or rejected. then people know whats happening and it is being looked at. i need to do some tidy up on this board as it is snd declutter what are probkems and what are improvement suggestions. phil

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 19 Jun 2011 20:29

...or maybe just have two separate boards, one for suggestions, another for bugs and issues, as many other forums do :-D

Joy

Joy Report 19 Jun 2011 21:43

Good idea - suggestions and bugs ;-)
I have had a bug :-( led to inflammation of the lungs - all ahh, please, thank you :-)

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Jun 2011 21:49

Thank you for the responses both in favour and against.