Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Essential Maintenance - UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Jul 2011 13:40

No annoucement on this site that essential maintenace was going to be carried out

Sorry

We are performing some essential maintenance on Genes Reunited, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The time is now - 11-7-2011 13-29-34

If you believe this is not the current time, please hit CTL+F5 to refresh this page. Your browser may have cached this page in error.

The Genes Reunited Team

philmoir

philmoir Report 11 Jul 2011 13:55

Hi GB, Thanks for mentioning this. Unfortunately, this message can be shown when we have unexpected server down time. This is why we are changing our main database server this week, as mentioned in previous threads. We are sorry for the trouble caused, but system should be back and running ok now.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 11 Jul 2011 18:56

no it is not back and running okay now

5 hours later

Sorry

We are performing some essential maintenance on Genes Reunited, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The time is now - 11-7-2011 18-49-57

If you believe this is not the current time, please hit CTL+F5 to refresh this page. Your browser may have cached this page in error.

The Genes Reunited Team

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jul 2011 21:12

and still getting the error message which came after the essential maintenance message.

philmoir

philmoir Report 12 Jul 2011 11:33

Just to let everyone know that we are working on the performance issue that is causing immense pain for many members, either preventing logging in or throwing up the "essential maintenance" page.

We will be changing servers to improve the site's performance and this should happen very soon.

We will keep you updated.

Island

Island Report 12 Jul 2011 13:14

*pots on hard hat and stocks up on string and beeswax* Just in case. :-D

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2011 13:21

Quite honestly, if I were thinking about joining the site now, instead of having done so seven years ago, I would seriously think twice about it; the speed is slow, there have been ongoing issues for months, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We will keep you updated."
- thank you, Phil; perhaps a prior notice in the announcements board?

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 12 Jul 2011 20:40

I think prior notice should be given but in a more prominent position than on the announcements board. I think it should be plastered on the home page next to where it says Hello ????? And in the White space above next to where it says Community.

Less people are likely to see it on the announcement board.

Potty

Potty Report 13 Jul 2011 11:50

Perhaps there could be an indication against Announcements when a new announcement has been posted.

I missed the one about the site being unavailable today and this maintenance obviously caused some further problems as can be seen by the number of posts with nothing but a title and the number of "unknowns"

Phil, will you be able to get these threads back?

philmoir

philmoir Report 13 Jul 2011 11:52

I am really sorry, but I think the new threads that have been half created are not retrievable. I am genuinely sorry about this. The process was failing after it created the thread record but before the post could be saved.

I am going to have to delete the threads with no posts.

Sorry
Phil

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 13 Jul 2011 13:17

As I have said before,I think the fact the site is going to be down should be in a more prominent position as this is important information. Without some indication that the announcements board has been updated means that it will go unnoticed by the majority of members.