Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

QUESTION GR Please clarify

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jul 2011 10:37

It has been noted that if you click on the send message of someone who no longer subscribes and therefore unable to continue to use the boards that a message pops up saying that the account has been deleted.

Does this mean that if we decide that we no longer wish to subscribe our memberships will not default to free as was the case in the past?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 10:59

Not my understanding at all.

Free Members make up by far the biggest percentage of member types on the site and it has always been possible for subscribed members to send personal messages to them too.

I believe it means the member has been deleted altogether. Either because they choose to do so themselves or have been removed by GR for failing to comply with the rules of the site.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jul 2011 11:08

I have tried to send a message to someone who is no longer subscribes to the site from the boards and got the following message

It is not possible to send a message to this member. Their account may be deleted.

Hence my question

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 11:13

Phil Moir confirmed in one of his earlier posts that the member in question who had been queried had actually been deleted.

If you think the person is still a member can you see them if you do a name search? If so try sending them a PM from there.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jul 2011 11:42

I haven't seen the post you mention but then again I've been busy helping on other sites.

I am considering whether or not its worth my while to continue my subscription on this site and so would like a definite answer.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jul 2011 12:05

I think people have experimented and if they click on somebody who has lapsed their membership they don't get the message. If they clicked on somebody who has been deleted for whatever reason you do get the message. If you just don't renew, your account is not deleted.

Estelle

Estelle Report 22 Jul 2011 12:17

Ann is quite right. You should only see the message if someone has deleted their registration. If someone has simply not renewed their subscription you will be able to send them a message. They can also reply as it's free to reply to any messages sent to you.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jul 2011 13:03

Thank you Estelle for clarifying it is very much appreciated

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 22 Jul 2011 18:50

I would have to disagree that Free Membership allows messages to be sent and replied to...My membership lapsed (May 2011) and I became a "Free Member" I was only able to use the message facility for approx 1 week when it was stopped.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 19:39

I think you have misunderstood.

A Free Member can not initiate messages, nor post on the boards. However, a subscribed member can send a message to a Free Member who can then reply to that message. So, when your subscription lapsed you would only have been able to reply to messages sent to you.