Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Automated messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flick

Flick Report 2 Nov 2011 13:25

These are a real nuisance, and they should be withdrawn

They are used by people who are too lazy to type a proper message, and who never bother to give any indication as to the reason(s) for sending them

Also, the Advanced Search is in dire need of an overhaul............it is pathetically slow, and more often than not produces long lists of threads which are in no way related to the enquiry

The old system whereby one could click on a poster's name and see a listing of ALL of his/her threads was much better

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Nov 2011 14:05

I would second that. The standard messages have never been satisfactory and most established members would never use them.

The search engine on here as always had issues with it for as long as I can remember. I think the problem is that it is trying too hard....!

By that I mean it is looking form word matches within posting text rather than restricting the search to heading only. That way, if the search term contains common words you get too may seemingly unrelated threads.

Perhaps what is needed is an option to restrict the search to heading text only, as the default. This may also speed things up too.

If you wanted to search all the posting text then you would tick a box and leave it to work away whilst you go for a cuppa.