Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Indexed Birth Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Nov 2011 13:51

I am not sure if this has been suggested before but it would be great to be able to search birth records using mother's maiden name.

Joy

Joy Report 14 Nov 2011 13:57

Birth indexes towards the end of 1911 include the mother's maiden name, but not before then.

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Nov 2011 14:36

I know Joy but what I meant was could Genes put a field in the births search function to add mothers maiden name which would then just return births with the specified surname and mother's maiden name. This can be done on FreeBMD but it would help greatly in finding children born to a marriage from 1911 to 2005, which are not on FreeBMD

Joy

Joy Report 14 Nov 2011 14:54

Ah, I see :)
Sorry, I don't use those records here, but I do in ancestry and find my past.

Mariian

Mariian Report 2 Dec 2011 23:39

My answer is not constructive in many ways but this is one gripe I do have
Why do so few people put the wifes surname Is it because they do not wish to share it..I mean her Maiden name....I have spent some considerable time trying to find this where I do not know it There are many john SMITHS for example YOU find the correct man eventually by a little help from our kind
Genes helpers but if the wife is called JEAN in the tree you feel sure is yours,
it wont help when comparing notes with others if one of you have no maiden name I have found to my cost you cannot assume your Mr Johnsons wife is your relative unless he also has a wife who matches up with with yours..I
hope you understand what I mean Thanks also to our friends for their help
MARIAN HUNT nee CAMSEY...plus many BAILEYS

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2011 00:43

Is this on peoples trees Mariiian? if so maybe they do not know it, because the have not found the marriage or bought any of the childrens birth certs?

Or maybe you mean something else?

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2011 02:03

I don't think this can be done on ANY site.

.................so far as I know you cannot use the mother's maiden name to search for births before about mid-1911 on freebmd or ancestry, let alone on GR

Some county records will have that information, spottily, ... for example, Lancashire bmd.

But even the Lancashire bmd is not guaranteed ........................ mother's surnames just were not entered into the indexes back then

after all, women were not "people" until about 1920

what you are asking would actually mean GR buying ALL the certificates and then transcribing them.

Marian .........

as regards women's maiden names being put on trees on here

.............. I think it is much more a matter that people will do anything rather than pay for a certificate that would tell them the wife/mother's surname.

So don't blame GR, or any other such site, for that ....... blame the mingy ones who won't buy certificates.

sylvia

JerryH

JerryH Report 3 Dec 2011 20:12

Sylvia is right.
The Mother's Surname did not appear in the GRO Index for Births until the quarter beginning 1 July 1911.
It seems however that the issue here is that a search from that point to now using the Mother's Surname can only be done on the FreeBMD site which currently has records transcribed up to about 1950.

Bearing in mind that one has to pay to fully access these records on this site, it is perhaps not so surprising that the Mother;s name is not shown? This seems a Commercial decision where access to enhanced searching may well require the user to have .a Gold or Patinum Subscription

Marian
Re Marriage Surnmes not being put on trees:
The GRO Marriage Indexes did not show the Surname of the Spouse until the beginning of 1912.
If you use the FreeBMD site then once you have found the entry for your family member, you can click on the Page Number to bring up the others registered on that Page. Normally there will be two Marriages (i.e. 4 persons) on the Page. It is of course easy to match for events from 1912 onwards, but before then you will have to do some extra research by, for example comparing with the Census.

Kense

Kense Report 4 Dec 2011 08:46

It seems a pity that there is not a way of indicating (as far as I know) on Genes and Ancestry trees, that a woman's name is her maiden name or married name.

When you discover, say, that John Smith was married to Ann you have the choice of putting her surname as Smith or as unknown (Ancestry will allow blank). Using Smith is more useful for census and death index matching but is not ideal.