Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Folders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norman

Norman Report 8 Dec 2011 16:50

I find that Genes Reunited Folders will not allow the storage of 'Sent Messages'. This seems silly to me being only able to file one side of a
discussion. I am trying to clear my In Box AND Sent boxes a bit but trying to save on printing each one out.
Has anyone else any views on this please, or any suggestions.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Dec 2011 07:17

"Unless I am misunderstanding you surely if you go to My Contacts you click on a persons name and all your & their messages are there?"
That's fine for conversations between two of you PigletsPal, but if you want to arrange folders in families where you may have two or more interested in a particular family, then My Contacts doesn't provide what you want. Plus it would be nice to reduce the content of the Sent Box.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Dec 2011 09:45

Hello Norman,

Try clicking on one of the messages in your folder and I think you will find that you can see both sides of the conversation...........ie messages FROM you and FROM the other person.

It works on mine anyway :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Dec 2011 11:13

GR mentioned they are working some tweaks to the message centre, so perhaps this is one of them.

Send an email to support with the issues you have found.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Dec 2011 13:41

This is the message you receive when you ask for a 'Sent' message to be applied to a folder :

Warning
Only received messages can be moved to personal folders. The selected conversation did not contain any received messages.

I had sent a message to a contact but although it had been opened, it did not receive a reply.

It rather looks as though the only messages which you can put in your folders are those with a reply and, as I said before, both sides of the conversations are included.

Cx.

philmoir

philmoir Report 11 Dec 2011 23:55

Hi Norman,

Because we introduced the view of a message as a conversation, we chose deliberately to only allow the received messages to be moved. As Cynthia mentioned, if you click on a message you get back all the replies back and forward.

Ok, in you case it does still leave the scenario where you send a message to someone in a family and you want to push that into a folder. If they reply that fine, you move the reply. If they don't reply then it is left in sent items. It may seem awkward, but it could get very messy if we showed the folder with messages to and from you.

I hope this explains the reason why it was done this way.

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Dec 2011 10:06

Phil

I have not tried this but would like some reassurance before I do.

I can understand your reasons for only moving items from the Inbox as this avoids the complications you envisage.
As the whole conversation is moved to the new folder, does this mean that the messages in a moved conversation that appeared in the Sent Box are also removed / suppressed?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Dec 2011 13:09

Jeremy

I think you will find that the whole message is simply transferred from the In/Sent boxes to the folder so, yes, they are removed from the Sent box. There just has to be two sides to the conversation.

Cx.

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Dec 2011 13:22

Thanks Cynthia

That makes me wonder why we need a Sent Box for other than unacknowleged messages ;-)

Jeremy

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Dec 2011 13:59

Well, we would have to have a Sent box wouldn't we? We don't know if a message will be acknowledged or unacknowledged until we have actually sent it :-D

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Dec 2011 14:27

I think you misunderstood me Cynthia.

Yes we need a Sent box for new messages - and until the messages have been answered (if ever).

Once answered, we have a "conversation".

So, after that, is there any further need for the conversation to be in the Sent Box as well as the Inbox? :-)

Kense

Kense Report 12 Dec 2011 14:32

The answered messages are not removed from the Sent box, they are still there with a curved arrow icon against them. Of course all messages are presumably held in a database with Individual's Inbox and Sent Boxes containing links.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Dec 2011 18:47

I have just checked a name in one of my folders. There is a conversation between myself and another member.

The messages I sent to him are in the folder but not in my Sent box.

Maybe Phil could clarify the situation for us.

Cx.

philmoir

philmoir Report 12 Dec 2011 22:51

Yes, no problem clarifying.

Only the Inbox items should actually move to the new folder. However, if you click on ANY of the messages that have been moved it should show you all messages back and forth in that conversation. The sent items should stay in the sent messages. If they're not, then I need to have your messages checked.

Hope this helps.
Phil

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Dec 2011 23:07

Thanks Phil

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Dec 2011 12:53

Thanks Phil......I will burrow through my messages again. Cx.

dchass

dchass Report 14 Jan 2012 01:56

It seems to me that terminology "move" to a folder would be far clearer and more precise to users as "copy" to folder.