Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR Survey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Apr 2012 12:13

How about GR doing another survey as to what their members want and expect from this site.

Not on Facebook or done by an agency but on this site.

Questions that members can give their full opinions on and not a tick box where the possible answers are based on what GR want to hear.

I am sure that loads of members have quite simple questions that they would like to be asked on a survey.

Probably not a suggestion that the Team will take on board as they are ignoring the members at the moment on just about every subject.

Surely happy members attract new members !!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Apr 2012 12:21

Great idea,

We don't need them we could do our own survey

But if members did one WOULD GR LISTEN?

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Apr 2012 12:29

Probably not

All previous surveys have been a bit of a waste of time and feedback has not to my notice been posted anywhere

Any possible questions for the survey are welcome.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Apr 2012 00:27

ha ha ha ha ha ha
:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

I wonder if you'll get the same responses I did

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2012 01:07

PP

all the previous surveys that I know about HAVE been run by an outside agency

problem was that most of the questions were loaded :-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 29 Apr 2012 07:07

Of course, if the GR team were to bother to read the boards, they would know what members want.
A site that does what it says it will do.
No need for a survey. Spend the money getting the site to work properly.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Apr 2012 11:41

Well I presume the Team are actually reading the boards as they do sometimes post an answer on a thread but I will keep posting on this board until someone takes the time and trouble to respond properley.

Wonder what subject I can post about next ;-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Apr 2012 21:20

There are actually two types of survey, and GR have conducted both in the past.

One is that conducted by a professional agency which has a number of varied questions, cleverly designed to get a balanced view from the wider audience. These surveys tend to result in opinions in the way the site is seen overall.

The other, is a more simplistic 'what would you like' type survey asking for suggestions for future enhancements.

I took part in the latter some five or so years ago, together with many other members who were advocating improvements to the site.

GR DID listen. Most of our suggestions were, in due course, implemented but sadly when they were introduced received a barrage of criticism on the line of 'why weren't we asked' 'don't fix what isn't broke' etc etc ad nauseum.

Following that, GR introduced the Suggestions Board to allow for just that. Suggestions for enhancements to the functionality of the site.

Sadly it hasn't worked. It has been hijacked by what is in reality a relatively small number of members who wish to air their grievances on a daily basis with any sensible suggestions being smartly pooh poohed.

So, apart from fixing the two problems which seem to be causing most concern e.g

1. Issues reported with the new tree

2. Timeout errors

what enhancements to the site functionality do we want to see?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Apr 2012 21:48

Well the suggestion is for this site to work properly and for the Team to supply information to their members - neither of which they seem capable of doing at the moment

Do we really need all the stupid things such as GR Blog which are a complete waste ot time and effort

There are loads of suggestions on this board which GR Team are ignoring

If they are that worried about the number of members that they think are airing their grievances then they should close this board to any further postings.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Apr 2012 22:29

Actually how do you know that GR listened to that previous survey

The results posted on this site ?

How do you know that they just implemented what they wanted to anyway and the survey results were ignored ?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 May 2012 22:40

I haven't been on here for some months now as I got p***** with the problems after the new enhanced facilities. I have yet to check the functionality of the tree but my biggest bugbear is the fact that it takes between 10-15 seconds for a page to load.

I used to love scrolling through the boards and checking the latest posts but now......................

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 May 2012 20:42

In answer to the question_

"How do you know that they just implemented what they wanted to anyway and the survey results were ignored ?"

Only on the basis that the enhancements that I and others who also made their views on the message board at the time saw their ideas were listened to and resulted in system enhancements..

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 May 2012 00:54

I just need a basic tree that works! I don't need fancy stuff here, we can buy software for that.

Loads of useless things (for me anyway) on the Home Page. I don't need Fact of the Year, or the blurb about Twitter etc. Too many "double-ups" - search etc.

I'd like GR to REPLACE what we used to have -

MIDDLE NAMES on the listings when we search. Why was that stopped?

A way of finding out the SURNAME of the FEMALE member in contacts - we get one name on a contact message and another on the tree to view (maiden & married names). If (like me) you are in contact with eg over 30 Margarets that gets annoying. I have sent messages "sorry, but I had to find out both your surnames". It wasn't always this way.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 May 2012 18:16

"MIDDLE NAMES on the listings when we search. Why was that stopped?"

Absolutely. I have no idea why this was dropped, other that it was an error on the part of the programmer when the code was updated. It does not seem to me to be a performance issue.

"A way of finding out the SURNAME of the FEMALE member in contacts - we get one name on a contact message and another on the tree to view (maiden & married names). If (like me) you are in contact with eg over 30 Margarets that gets annoying. I have sent messages "sorry, but I had to find out both your surnames". It wasn't always this way. "

Again I agree. I have, on several occasions, reversed engineered the logic that GR use for the various name fields that a user can have in their Account and have also suggested ways in which this can be improved, but have not had that much support.

The problem, Scozz, it that to get this to change we need to set out a concise set of rules as to how the various name field should be used within the site.

The fields we are talking about are:-

First, Your Home name on your Tree

then from "My account"

First Name
Middle Name
Your current surname
Your birth surname
Message board name

Then, there is a Y/N selection which asks Would you like to use your message board name when sending messages?

So, what is the logic needed to apply to the use of these?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 May 2012 20:43

Personally .........................

First, I have absolutely no interest in making either my maiden or my married name available on this site

Second, my maiden name can be seen easily only on 2 internet sites, neither of which is this one

Third, I believed GR when they posted "Would you like to use your message board name when sending messages? Y/N", and clicked Yes

............... only to find that this does NOT apply to GR itself. They gave my maiden surname, taken from My Account, in a pm to someone who had rr'd one of my posts in spite .............. someone (not me) had rr'd one of his posts, so he rr'd me. (I know the truth of this because he told me and one of my friends!)

My maiden name now is "In Canada" ........ which was GR's only solution to prevent my maiden name being given out by them in similar circumstances.

I do not care that this may cause problems for someone just wanting to see or check my tree, or a casual contact .................... those who have a close connection do have both my names.

sylvia