Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find An Existing Relation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colkitto

Colkitto Report 14 Aug 2012 12:11

Hi

Can anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm trying to add someone to an existing relation as his son, the search box in the add father bit only seems to be searching the first name, never mind surname & date of birth & what ever the next bit is supposed to be - Year o..... that goes out of the box, death probably?

I'm looking for a Francis, I can tell he's probably the next on on the list, tantalizingly just off the bottom of my readable page. Good job I'm not looking for a John the list would be long enough to go out & round the garden.

This feature was about the only good thing I could see about the new tree, oh well.

Apologies if this is the wrong board to ask for this kind of help but none of the others seemed particularly right either. I have sent feedback re. this, should I send an email too? or am I just doing it wrong?

Cheers Jo

Thelma

Thelma Report 14 Aug 2012 16:22

I will try.
With your tree open there is a square box on the far right,under search tree.
This box should have two arrow heads in it.No tree arrows mean your computer is not compatible with the tree.This will make things very difficult.
However if you can get the father on screen and click on that box there is an add button and in there is "add child".
You may have to zoom out(reduce print size) to see all parts.

Colkitto

Colkitto Report 14 Aug 2012 16:35

Thanks Thelma,

I have the arrows that make the sidepane pop out, is that the arrows you mean?

I could add Francis as a child but I have a quite a few descendants attached to him, so I wanted to be able to attach the whole lot of them at once, if you see what I mean. Both Francises are already on my tree. Thats what I was presuming the Find Existing Relation thing was for (like on Ancestry if you're allowed to say that on here).

I'll have a go at your zooming suggestion.

Cheers Jo

Thelma

Thelma Report 14 Aug 2012 16:46

Hi Jo
You cannot merge two names yet,maybe in the future.
I have at least 8 names that are in tree twice.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2012 16:47

Is this a cousin marrying cousin sort of thing? And you've already followed the line from where he married his wife?

If that is the case, you can't 'join' or link pre-existing relatives on GR.

It might be best to rename the Francis without a spouse as Francis(1) and the one with the spouse as Francis(2)

Then add notes to each profiles refering to the other and the relationship - Francis(1) was the son of X and Y - his (wife) was his........
Francis(2) married zzzzz who was his.....

Doesn't help with finding either of them on your tree, but when you do, you won't get frustrated trying to link them!!!

Colkitto

Colkitto Report 14 Aug 2012 17:17

Hi Detective & Thelma,

yes it's sort of a cousin thing but much further down the line, neither of them need to be on twice, but I had a thought. I changed Francis senior's name to beelzebub and it worked fine making him Francis Jnr's father as he was the only beelzebub on my tree. Hopefully it won't make my tree explode now, it all looks ok so far.
If someone finally manages to make a program that can merge names MY head might explode.

Thanks for your help. it just looks like it's another problem with the new & not very improved tree.

Jo

Colkitto

Colkitto Report 14 Aug 2012 17:56

Hi Stephen (& distant relative ;))

it might not be all bad.

Francis Woodhouse's G grand son married his G grand daughter (different G fathers) & it's all worked nicely so far. They are both only on my tree once & they both follow back to Francis properly. Am I missing something here? It does look interesting.... now for the people who are on my tree 4 times.

Jo

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Aug 2012 11:13

Don't mark people as (eg) Francis (1) & Francis (2) - if anyone else has the same people they'll never find you.

In the notes you can give extra information - eg "son/daughter of..." or "married to...", or "for details of children of George & Mary see other branch" or something like "Mary's brother Fred married Jane, who is the sister of Mary's husband George"... confusing I know, but at least it gives some idea, and better than having "double-ups" all over the place.

I have lots of notes like that all over my GR tree. Many cases of (example) three brothers marrying three sisters!
:-D

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 15 Aug 2012 13:38

i seem to be having the same problem as you do. I did report my feeling on this new tree but was told to check in tools at my compatability view and settings to ensure that they were not ticked, they were not but, i am still having problems.

I feel like a real beginner with this new system and am getting very frustrated in fact i wish i had not rejoined. Sorry to moan but it is hard enough tracing relatives without haveing problems with the programme. Sam