Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 12 Sep 2012 09:49

Sorry to disagree, but your new tree site is hopeless. When I first used it I had the option of using the old tree, but that option seems to have been discontinued.
I can't get the new tree to go onto full screen and find it very frustrating trying to find ancesters, which was very easy with the old tree. It's also very slow.
Probably won't continue my membership next year.

Helen Ellis :-(

Lynn

Lynn Report 16 Sep 2012 20:45

I total agree

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Sep 2012 22:16

I agree with most of the above, but I can get my tree on full screen by pressing F11.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Sep 2012 19:24

PP Not the first time that point has been made. Am assuming Lynn, Helen and Andy's Mum are paying Basic or Platinum like you and me.

So whether the tree is free, or costs thousands of pounds, is irrelevant information surely.

We don't like tree, and building our trees and writing to contacts is mainly why we like to subscribe. Not everyone is keen on Community Boards. We like to support Genes, we are less likely to support Genes because of this fiasco.

Kense

Kense Report 17 Sep 2012 21:53

I found the old tree very awkward to navigate round, having to adjust the scrolling every time I moved up a generation, and if I used the search box I always had to clear out the box before typing in a name. And that greenness was dreadful.

There are problems with the new tree but it would be so much better if members concentrated on using it and making suggestions for improving it rather than suggesting that the old tree be restored. It would not be a simple task and to run two trees in parallel would be prohibitively expensive.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2012 01:38

Stephen has recently posted the following on William's New Thread v Old Thread ........

Stephen Report 17 Sep 2012 22:46

well I must say the old tree was a world beater for simplicity. I have had no end of arguments with GR and I have even told their team leader he's about as much use as a chocolate teapot; in fact I don't think he could organise a piss-up in a brewery.
today 17/09/2012. they told me they have no intention of going back to the old tree
as they have erased it.
stephen.

------------------

so there's your answer.

It is something that GR has said before, during these last few weeks ........ only people would not believe it

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Sep 2012 08:54

Sylvia I think most wanted the old tree back because they did not believe that Genes would have erased it entirely and that seemed the easiest option to stop so many (including at least 25 of my contacts) from leaving Genes.

But, for myself, I quite like change and would have appreciated a better tree. But a tree that was quite similar to the old one and was perhaps more fun and did more things.

I am hoping that is what they are now working on - something better that can be tested properly. Preferably quick and with one person per page. But an Announcement is so long overdue. :-( :-( :-(

Paula

Paula Report 19 Sep 2012 12:48

I have just tried sorting my contacts by a to z and am no longer able to do so. I got in touch with Genes and their reply was "you can search".
I have over 600 contacts and would have to record every single one somewhere else in order to get the info I want.

They don't care what we would like from this site only that we put up with the changes they want to make. Whoever told them that this was a good idea needs their head examining.

This site is going to the dogs :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Sep 2012 13:24

Well you are correct it is not possible to order the contacts on an A-Z basis - the same bone headed approach to search is also in other places eg the "dashboard" of shared trees.

What you can do is to enter a search string in the box to the left eg "Ann". "Ann" will bring up all variations eg Ann, Anne, Suzanne, Barbara Ann and so on of course.

I am not sure if the developers (all two of them) are (a) lazy (b) not given enough time to do things properly or (c) take a perverse delight in this sort of thing.

"Those that the gods wish to destroy they first send mad." - Euripides.

Imagine if Gru were in charge of the phone book ..... A-Z maps or your GPS device (!)

:-(

bootnecksbs

bootnecksbs Report 19 Sep 2012 13:24

Dear Fellow - Researchers,

I agree wholeheartedly with all the above.

Remember the old adage "If it 'aint broke-don't fix it" well that is certainly the case here.

One of the main problems I have is when one is looking at a tree it's impossible to do a search for a family member straight from there so one has to click on list and enter a name in the available search box.

However, when the selected ancestor comes up, one can't click on it and go to that persons details and/or their tree!

Absoluteness daft and I regret coming back after a years hiaetis and wasting my money.

Good job I have Ancestry and FindMyPast to fall back on but I know a lot of folks are not as fortunate as me so must find the whole thing damned frustrating.

Once my subscription is over it's Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, Joigin, Saw Bolinyiz, Do Svidanija, or even Good Bye!!!! (that's all I know).

Happy Hunting Folks

Max

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Sep 2012 13:53

But then of course, the 'old' tree that is apparently so sadly missed came in for the same sort of criticism when it was first introduced a few years back.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Sep 2012 14:18

Max, Your comment; However, when the selected ancestor comes up, one can't click on it and go to that persons details and/or their tree!

Is not true, When you see the name in the list click on the name in the list and open the details panel to see their details, also you can view any relative in Immediate family, Full, Ancestors, Descendants modes

Roy