Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Import Gedcom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eric

Eric Report 19 Nov 2012 11:32

The importation of a gedcom file does not state EMPHATICALLY that any current trees will be lost.

There should be a further reminder just before import something like " Are you sure you wish to overwrite your existing files, ALL FILES WILL BE LOST" #I have just lost 5 years of my tree records and will be leaving Genes reunited at the end of this year.

I did ask if any files were backed up be Genesr to a servewr on a regular basis - which would be normal practice in industry but got no reply - perhaps this is somethin Genesr could look into, even evry 6 months would have saved an awfl lot of records.

All is lost and I do not have the heart to start over.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Nov 2012 13:22

GRU use Microsoft IIS 7.0. The server, networking, backups and so on are under the control of Bright Solid whose main business is corporate networking services ( not family history). It is usual for IIS servers and SQL database to be backed up regularly so it is likely that backups do exist of the family tree database going back some time.

As to whether GRU have the smarts to be able to extract a tree out of the backup or make the effort is another story of course. Why not contact Bright Solid in Dundee directly ? The tree software is the same as used by other Bright Solid FH products.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Nov 2012 15:20

Eric, Sorry to hear you have lost 5 years of research But it is normal for people to backup their own research and not rely on any one source to keep your info safe, You will find that these things happen on other sites and not just GR,

GR do give guidance on the Import page under the heading "Important - Before you begin" Which includes

Please see our help section for more information on GEDCOM files

and

(changes that cannot be matched will result in your existing Genes Reunited Tree to be overwriten. This includes all relations and associated data.)

Their help section ( FAQ )

It is not necessary to remove your tree to allow an upload, but you can only upload one Gedcom per registration. If you import a file for one branch of your family and then import a second file, the first one will be automatically deleted and it is not possible to retrieve the data.

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 17:26

Have you checked with Phil Moir that all is definitely lost?

Eric

Eric Report 20 Nov 2012 16:25

Hi

thanks for the replies, I note what AnninGlos says but how do I get in touch with Phil Moir please

thanks

Eric

Kense

Kense Report 20 Nov 2012 16:52

Look at the first post on the Announcements board page. Click on his name and you will get a Genes email message proforma which you can fill in and send to him.

Eric

Eric Report 20 Nov 2012 18:23

Thanks again

eric