Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom exports without any assetts attached

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 14 Mar 2013 10:27

Is there anyway just to have exported the gedocm files with the textual data and none of the image and other asset files?

The existing export seems to want to export everything. :-(

Kense

Kense Report 14 Mar 2013 11:28

The Export GEDCOM button warns you that "We are unable to export any records or photos you have attached to your tree. If you export your tree as a GEDCOM file, these attachments will be lost."

GEDCOMs are text files and at present have no facility for images.

Peter

Peter Report 14 Mar 2013 12:16

Could Genes Reunited provide an optional export which doesn't attempt to export additional files, just the text?

It would seem to be a useful feature to have implemented, and some family tree packages can't import references to these additional files in any case.

One for the wishlishtfor the next GR beta?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Mar 2013 15:00

Not sure what you are referring to.

Some commercial tree programs - i.e. FTM - may export linked media details in their own proprietary file export format, but not by way of gedcom.

As Ken has already explained the gedcom file format is a pure text file and has no facility to include images, documents or other files.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Mar 2013 16:27

A Gedcom is a system of moving genealogical 'data only' from one tree to another. It was designed by the Church of Latter Day Saints and is I believe the only way to move data.

The Gedcom file is not owned by Genes or any other genealogical online research business who have trees. So Genes cannot do anything to amend etc., how it works.

It is not a precise tool but a tool for us all of convenience. I know when I transferred my tree from here to Ancestry I 'lost' about 10 ancestors but soon found them and reinstated them. Luckily my tree was not too big then.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Mar 2013 16:28

Oh and forgot to say

as this was designed by an American company they like their dates in a specific format so I think the 00/00/0000 is the one that is recognised by the Gedcom and any other entered is just garbled when transferred.

Some enlightened person may be able to expand on this.

:-D :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Mar 2013 10:32

I always use dd mmm yyyy i.e. 02 Mar 1950 and have not experienced any date problems. I also use the formats Abt 1890 and Bet 1881-1891 and these generally tend to be ok too, although some programs have their field lengths set too short and and the latter can end up being truncated.

Problems can also arise with dd/mm/yyyy i.e. 02/03/1950 because us the US practice of using mm/dd/yyyy - I think it then depends on what the receiving program is set to expect.

Non standard or ad hoc date formats or use of other separator characters may also cause problems, but a lot depends on how well the receiving program is capable of interpreting different formats.