Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindseyJ

LindseyJ Report 6 Feb 2008 14:06

I am trying to find on 1901 census SIMON LEWIS born 1881.
Have looked on Ancestry and found nothing but on GR it comes up with 1 in London Whitechapel!! Why is there one on GR and not on Ancestry. I do not want to pay £5 to look at 1 record. Any suggestions?

The Simon Lewis I am looking for was living in Whitechapel in 1911 when he married. On his marriage cert his father is Philip Lewis. He may have been born in Russia so he might not have been here in 1901 - but as I have found this census in 1901 it is bugging me now. I have already sent for 1 birth cert which wasnt his!!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Feb 2008 14:31

There's a Simon Lewis (transcribed Lewin) on Ancestry in 1901. He was born 1881 Russia but he's already married to Mary with a 1 1/2 yr. old son Lazarus and 3 month old daughter Sophia. They're in Whitechapel.

LindseyJ

LindseyJ Report 7 Feb 2008 10:01

Thanks for your help Margaret - I suppose he could have been married twice!! But probably not...

Lindsey

LindseyJ

LindseyJ Report 7 Feb 2008 10:10

Island - sorry had to go out yesterday - if you are there today - was he living with anybody - this is the record that came up on GR - tried to log on to 1901census but couldnt find it?

Lindsey

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 7 Feb 2008 14:27

1901 as above - with the ref no.

Simon Lewin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Rus Foreign Subject

Civil Parish: Whitechapel
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Whitechapel
Sub-registration district: Mile End New Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 169
Household Members: Name Age
Lazarus Lewin 1 6 months
Mary Lewin 19
Simon Lewin 20
Sophie Lewin 3/12

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 302; Folio: 87; Page: 28.

occupation looks like Trouser Hand.

Address is not very well written - Ely(?) Place.

LindseyJ

LindseyJ Report 7 Feb 2008 15:34

thanks Jill