Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted child

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 22 Sep 2013 20:01

how do you add an adopted child into family tree showing who the parents are ?

Stuart

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Sep 2013 22:31

In exactly the same way as a natural child, I would have thought......................make notes if you think it necessary

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2013 13:20

One way is to add the natural mother as a partner to the adoptive father.
Just explain in the notes.

Eileen

Eileen Report 23 Sep 2013 15:35

Perhaps you could put your surname then put nee and add the child's name before adoption.

Stuart

Stuart Report 23 Sep 2013 17:17

All,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Tried all of them however it would not be immediately obvious to anyone looking at the tree that the person was adopted without going into the notes which makes tracking this person very cumbersome.

Stuart

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Sep 2013 21:08

As adoption is a sensitive issue, perhaps that's just as well..................and be very careful about who you allow to have access to your tree

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 Sep 2013 00:50

Stuart,
There is no facility on GR to allow for adopted children.

I have added my grandfather twice.
He is added as a child to his biological family which includes his marriage and children. To this I added a note which refers to his adoptive family.

He is entered a second time, only as the son of his adoptive family with a note referring to his biological line.

It is advisable to add any marriage and descendants for the adopted person, to one set of parents only.

I use a desktop programme which does allow for adoption, and always update my tree by a gedcom.
Before exporting the gedcom, I need to ensure that my GF is disconnected from his adoptive parents as GR has no facily to handle the info.

Sally

Sally Report 24 Sep 2013 22:30

hello I know I am a bit late on this

my oh is adopted so I have him married to me in his birth name and his adopted name so I can add ancesters to both familys

so perhaps you could do this for grand parents

sally w <3

Stuart

Stuart Report 26 Sep 2013 20:18

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. I am sure it would not be beyond the capabilities of Genesreunited computer people to come up with a solution to adding adopted children. However they may have legal resons not to do this as I guess it could have some repercussions, espcially if it is in recent living memory.

Regards
Stuart