Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dad born to Canadian mother in Birkenhead

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 15 Mar 2007 20:39

You have been fantastic in helping me with my quest for ancestors but can anyone help with this puzzle. My dad was born in Birkenhead in 1912 , his mother was named Olive White ,she came over from Canada pregnant,accompanied by her mother,who had the name Hamilton in her name somewhere,not sure wether that was her maiden name or a double barrelled name arriving by ship.His mum left him in the care of a family in Birkenhead ,promising to come back for him 'in a little while'.Of course she didn't! She did write for a while sending money and presents and asking for photo's of my dad, but eventualy the letters ceased.I've seen the letters and all I've got to go on is his mothers name and a PO box in Vancouver.My dads birth certificate just names his mother (no father) I've tried e-mailing the Canadian Postal Service to see if they could give me the name of the person using the PO box,vut so far they haven't got back to me.Has anyone got any ideas where I could start? Is there any way I could find out what ship she sailed back on for instance. any help would be really appreciated Regards Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Added By Paul White on 02/03/2007 16:54:52 | Update Message | Delete Message Thanks Margaret,for both of those ,they look interesting.What do you think is the best way forward from here,me being a bit of a new boy on the block? Thanks Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you wish to report any abuse of the system please contact our abuse manager and we will quickly remove the offensive material *We would encourage you to think carefully before posting personal details on any of the public areas of our site. If you post your telephone number or address you should be aware that this instantly becomes available to everyone who views it. Please do take care.

Orange Cat and Me

Orange Cat and Me Report 15 Mar 2007 22:33

Paul, have you asked Lorraine Derry for help, she is a whiz with all things Canadian and American, I have nudged her for you. OC&G

Paul

Paul Report 16 Mar 2007 00:00

thanks OC&G, much apprciated.Paul

Martin

Martin Report 16 Mar 2007 01:07

Some Canadian censuses are online so you might find her family in 1901. Also Ancestry tend to free three trial offers during Canadian and US holidays. Watch out for the next one and use it to search the Canadian censuses - there system is better than that on the other free site. Canadian BMD records are different for each Province, some are good (BC) and some are terrible. MB

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 16 Mar 2007 07:47

Were thie family of Olives originally from UK...do you know why they came to UK (Birkenhead) who was the Baby left with, were they rellies! How old was Olive does the bith cert give any age! why do you think the link with the name Hamilton.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Mar 2007 08:04

Paul, There are a few members from Vancouver on these boards. Might be worth posting another message with Vancouver in the title. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Mar 2007 08:08

I don't see any Olive Whites in Vancouver on the 1911 census. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Mar 2007 08:09

Here are the ones in BC: Name Parent or spouse names Home in 1911 (Province, District, Sub-District) Birth Year Birthplace Relation Olive White Harry, Sophia British Columbia, Kootenay, Cranbrook, part 1896 United States of America Daughter Olive Grace White George Mc Kirman, Wortha Jane British Columbia, Yale and Cariboo, Okanagan, Mission 1904 British Columbia Daughter Violie Olive White William C, Alice British Columbia, Comox-Atlin 1892 United States of America Daughter Rose