Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

French Ambassador Malta 1840 -1850 - Help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sean

Sean Report 13 Dec 2005 10:48

Can any guru of the French history gurus give me any clues as to how and where online I can find out who the French Ambassabor to Malta was between 1840 -50. He was uncle of my GG Grandfather who came to Australia Sean

Heather

Heather Report 13 Dec 2005 11:04

Have you had a go googling his name and then French Ambassador Malta 1840? Should bring something up?

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Dec 2005 11:07

contact the Embassy: http://www.ambafrance.org.mt/

Zoe

Zoe Report 13 Dec 2005 11:08

according to that website they've only had an ambassador since the islands independence in 1964: Liste des Ambassadeurs de France à Malte depuis l’Indépendance de l’île en 1964. Achille ANDREANI, chargé d’affaires, 1964-1966 Georges DESMEURE, chargé d’affaires, 1966-1966 Joseph BONAVITA, chargé d’affaires, 1968-1970 Philippe THIOLLIER, Ambassadeur, 1970-1971 Imbert de LAURENS-CASTELET, Ambassadeur, 1971-1974 Pierre BOYER, Ambassadeur, 1974-1976 Serge GELADE, Ambassadeur, 1976-1978 Albert FEQUANT, Ambassadeur, 1978-1981 Gabriel LECOMTE, Ambassadeur, 1981-1985

Heather

Heather Report 13 Dec 2005 12:16

Why dont you try emailing the Malta Tourist info website. The Maltese are generally very accommodating and friendly people and if they can help Im sure they will. But I have to say I dont think there was an Ambassador post at that time.

Sean

Sean Report 13 Dec 2005 22:12

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. It gives me a few more ways to attack the problem. I have done research in the State Library in NSW Australia and there are mentions of the French in Malta at the time they refer to them as Deputies and the The Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, Knights Hospitaller. I have also done a lot a searches through Google. Againg thanks everyone for all your input. Sean

Heather

Heather Report 13 Dec 2005 22:18

I guess the Maltese tourism or uni are the best places. From what I can remember when I went on a history tour there! (on about the only freezing cold raining day that theyd had in a century or something!) the English were invited in to get shot of the french during napoleonic wars and then dug in and stayed there! The Knights were there from medieval times and werent just French but a mixture of european fighting priests. They set up the hospitals (surprised?) and spent a lot of money on the island. Brilliant place actually, you can get really cheap holidays there. I did a last minute on my own job for £127 half board for a week. You will probably find during that time the ambassador title was dropped for something else. Good luck anyway.