Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish side of my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Baby

Baby Report 6 Nov 2005 16:52

Can anyone recommend some good websites to research the scottish side of my tree

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 6 Nov 2005 16:55

Scotlands people. It is apay site but you can download the images so saves buying certs. I wish my family came from Scotland the details on the BMD are fantastic. Good hunting Pat

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 6 Nov 2005 17:30

Someone may have a few spare credits and could do you a lookup. Sorry I`ve none just now . Who are you looking for? Rosalyn

Baby

Baby Report 6 Nov 2005 17:53

Janet cadogan who died in 1930's

Sidami

Sidami Report 6 Nov 2005 21:33

What do you get from Scottish people and what does it cost to download a certificate and what dates are covered, sorry about all the questions. Sue

Melissa

Melissa Report 6 Nov 2005 22:44

For Sue, Scotlandspeople: AVAILABLE RECORDS ON THIS SITE Statutory Registers » Births 1855-1904 » Marriages 1855-1929 » Deaths 1855-1954 Old Parish Registers » Births & Baptisms 1553-1854 » Banns & Marriages 1553-1854 Census » 1861 » 1871 » 1881 » 1891 » 1901 Wills & Testaments » Free Index Search 1513-1901 Cost: Access to statutory, OPR and census indexes costs 6GBP. For this fee, you will receive 30 'page credits' which are valid for 7 consecutive days. Viewing a page of index results costs 1 credit and each page will contain up to 25 search results. Viewing an image costs 5 credits (equivalent to 1GBP). Your session begins when payment has been authorised and additional credits may be purchased in 6GBP increments. The session will restart with each new credit purchase.

Sidami

Sidami Report 7 Nov 2005 09:04

Melissa Thanks for that does that include the scottish islands as mine came from Isle of Lewis? Sue............ can you print the bmd certificates? I believe that gives you more info than the England ones is that right. Sue

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Nov 2005 09:15

Sue Scotlands people is a great site you can print off the certificates, I wish the English sites were as good. I think the whole of scotland is covered including the small islands. It is well worth investing £6. Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Nov 2005 09:24

Baby Butterfly.... These are all the Cadogan's on the 1881 scottish census, how old was Janet when she died and was Cadogan her married or maiden name? CADOGAN, Mary Ann Head <1828> Engl Forf CADOGAN, John Lodg <1838> Irel Cait CADOGAN, Mary Ann Dau <1852> Angu Forf CADOGAN, Alexandrina Dau <1856> Angu Forf CADOGAN, Edward Son <1858> Angu Forf Georgina

Sheila

Sheila Report 7 Nov 2005 09:27

I have used Scotlands People and have traced my family back to the early 1800's still working on going back further would recommend this site as it has lots of information. Sheila

Kate

Kate Report 7 Nov 2005 09:29

A tip about Scotland's People - yes, it is great. But always search on FamilySearch first in case whatever you are looking for is on there for free! Especially anything pre-civil registration. Because costs can very quickly mount up on Scotland's People. Kate.

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Nov 2005 09:33

There is one Janet Cadogan born in 1892 in scotland, sorry I dont have any credits left to look at the image. Georgina.

Janet

Janet Report 7 Nov 2005 11:22

If I join Scot.people can I view a birth cert for 1919? Don't now much about this site. Does it work much the same as England. I was going to buy the cert to give me a starting point, but if you can view on screen this would be cheaper? Hope this makes sense

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 7 Nov 2005 13:01

Janet Birth's only go up to 1904 in Scotlandspeople.Marriages up to 1929. You can print off the images of them. Worth £6,and a week to use up your credit. Marion