Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS CENTRES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2005 09:45

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO FIND WHERE THESE CENTRES ARE? I LIVE NEAR SCUNTHORPE IN NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A CENTRE IN THIS AREA.

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Oct 2005 09:46

Katherine, If you go onto the LDS website, you can search for the one nearest to you - will have a look for you in a mo. Trudy

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Oct 2005 09:49

Hi Katherine these are the LDS family centres for Lincolnshire: Boston England Woodthorpe Avenue Fishtoft Boston, Lincolnshire County, England Phone: 01522 680117 Hours: F 7pm-9pm; Sat 10am-12pm Grimsby England Linwood Avenue Waltham Road Grimsby, Lincolnshire County, England Phone: 01472-828876 Hours: M, W, Sat 10am-2pm; Th 7-9pm. Lincoln England Skellingthorpe Road Lincoln, Lincolnshire County, England Phone: 01522-680117 Hours: T, W, F 7pm-9pm; W, Th, F 10am-1pm Hope the above helps Trudy

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2005 09:56

Hi Trudy, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to look for me. Can I just ask what this Hugh Wallis site is that everyone talks about on here? Do you know what it is and can they help me with Scottish relatives? Regards Katherine

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Oct 2005 10:01

Hi Katherine, have put the link to Hugh Wallis below, don't know if it will help with Scottish rellies, but basically it is a more organised list of the batches on the IGI - I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will be able to explain it better than me! Trudy PS don't forget to remove brackets http://freepages.genealogy(.)rootsweb(.)com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2005 10:07

Hi again Trudy, Thank you for the info, I'll give it a go & see what happens. I'm having a nightmare trying to find my GG Grandmothers dob & her parents. Thanks again Katherine

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Oct 2005 10:09

I'm sure if you post all the info you have on here, someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Trudy

Angela

Angela Report 14 Oct 2005 10:37

Hi, Katherine - The Hugh Wallis site (just Google 'Hugh Wallis IGI' and you will find it) is basically a way of finding the batch of records from one particular parish for a certain set of dates. It is like a database and you select the country, then the county and you will get a list of the parishes that are on the IGI. If the one that you want is there you can select the batch that you are interested in then put the surname into the search box and search for all the records of that name. It then links into the FamilySearch site. The best thing about it is that you can just get the names and parish you are interested in without having to wade through hundreds of records on the FamilySearch site for that county.

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2005 11:04

Hi Trudy, I already have posted my info a few times & asked for look-ups but cannot find them. This is the info I have. My GR GR Grandmother was Catherine McKenzie born in Perth-Scotland. She married Robert Ritchie on 3/12/1857 in Markinch-Fife-Scotland. Her marriage cert says she was 21 & her parents were Alexander McKenzie & Christina Angus. I can neither find a birth for her nor a marriage for her parents. On 1881 Census Catherine was 43. On death cert in 1883 says she was 40. This is the problem tracking down the correct birth through the marriage of her parents if poss. Anyway, thank you again Trudy for trying to help me. Katherine

Trudy

Trudy Report 14 Oct 2005 12:04

I'd try posting the info on a separate thread one more time, you might just get lucky. Good hunting Trudy

Lyndy

Lyndy Report 15 Oct 2005 12:54

Regarding the LDS FH Centres - I use my local one. Recently while there, they had American bosses come over. If not enough people use the research facilities, they could be closed. LDS offer a fantastic service offering a chance to view so many records, usually only obtainable in the 'home' parishes. So it's a case of use it or loose it!

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 15 Oct 2005 13:18

There is a birth recorded on Scotlands People for a CathArine Mckenzie in 1837, parents surnames Angus and Mckenzie. Unfortunately I don't have any credits to view the record at present but it must be worth a look Beth :)