Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 census Brighton does anyone have?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 19 Oct 2003 02:01

I have just been given great help by Lucy who found my family on the 1891 census, and because of their age they should be some were on the 1881 census. if any one can help they are William Postlethwaite b 1859 Paper hanger Amy Postlethwaite b 1859 living at 34 Mount Lion Place, Brighton in 1891 James Postlewaite b 1829 paper hanger Redvell Postlewaite b 1829 living at 20 Mount Lion Place, Brighton in 1891 Thanks, Valerie

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Oct 2003 04:38

Valerie Have you looked on the census on the family search site? Margaret

Sue

Sue Report 19 Oct 2003 05:11

Hi Valerie Here is your James. Haven't found William yet though., but he wasn't living at 34. UPDATE Found him!!! Sue Household Record 1881 British Census -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability James POSTLETHWAITE Head M Male 49 Brighton, Sussex, England Paper Hanger Rachell POSTLETHWAITE Wife M Female 49 Brighton, Sussex, England Paper Hanger Wife Margaret POSTLETHWAITE Daur Female 16 Brighton, Sussex, England No Occupation Louisa POSTLETHWAITE Daur Female 14 Brighton, Sussex, England No Occupation Corncian POSTLETHWAITE Son Male 10 Brighton, Sussex, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 20 Mount Sion Pl Census Place Brighton, Sussex, England Family History Library Film 1341257 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1090 / 49 Page Number 5 *************************************************** Here he is! Obviously the transcriber couldn't read the writing for their surname! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability William POTTLEWH... Head M Male 22 Brighton, Sussex, England Paper Hanger Ann POTTLEWH... Wife M Female 22 Brighton, Sussex, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 1 Tichborne St Census Place Brighton, Sussex, England Family History Library Film 1341257 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1090 / 95 Page Number 19

Valerie

Valerie Report 19 Oct 2003 11:33

Hi Margaret, I had looked on the IGI census for James and his wife Redvell, and it gave me what sue found but some of the names don't tally. Valerie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Oct 2003 11:36

sometimes names are transcribed wrong on the census, so it could be that

Valerie

Valerie Report 19 Oct 2003 11:40

Hi Sue. Thanks, I did find the James family on the IGI that you found but there is something wrong because I now have two familys with the same last name same address but different first names except James. The one for William Postlethwaite looks promising. Valerie

Sue

Sue Report 19 Oct 2003 19:01

Valerie As Siobhan says, names were often wrongly transcribed. Rachell could quite easily become Redvell if you imagine it written in the script that was used then. Is it possible the other names were mistranscribed (is that a word?) as well? Sue