Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birmingham City Archives - Can do look ups!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 10:09

For those of you who posted below, please accept my apologies, today turned out to be a slight disaster. firstly I have been hit with some kind of bug, which means I am not feeling to good, alot of it around at the moment I think. secondly, do not go to the archives on a Saturday because they have limited microfiche readers on the 6th floor and there are quite a lot of people about on saturday, this means that for each register etc you want to look at you have to then go down two flights to the 4th floor. thirdly the humidity in that place combined with not feeling too good makes you feel a hell of alot worse, so after about an hour I gave up. But all of you who posted do not worry, I am planning another visit in the next couple of weeks, when I am feeling better and also on a week day not at the weekend. I think i may try and reserve a microfiche reader this time as well. Regards, Siobhan

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Oct 2003 10:15

Siobhan Could you look in the Parish Register for St Mary's Handsworth for a baptism for me please. The name is Thomas NEWEY. I have no idea of the parents. According to the 1851 census he was born in Handsworth Staffs. This is now Warwickshire. The records are in Birmingham. According to his age on that census he would have been born about 1774. But, his army record has him born about 1769. I was thinking of going to Birmingham myself sometime, but if you can find this baptism then I know that when I do go I can look for his whole family, siblings etc. Thanks for your offer Margaret

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 17 Oct 2003 10:24

Hi Siobhan, Can you please tell me what exactly is at the Birmingham Archives and where they are as I keep thinking about going. Is it only related to the Midlands and worcester or does it contain info that is held in the London FRO? Thanks, Jacky

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 10:26

http://www(.)birmingham(.)gov(.)uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=2135&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=65&EXPAND=164 with out the brackets.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 20:16

nudge :o)

Christopher

Christopher Report 17 Oct 2003 20:58

Hi Siobhan,thanks for your offer. Could you please look up Sophy (Sophia) Holland born about 1835, Birmingham, Warks Fathers name Thomas. Thankyou, Chris.

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 17 Oct 2003 21:16

Hello Siobhan Could you please look for a birth for Eliza Powell born 1871 Harborne Stafford. Thank you Shirley

Barbara

Barbara Report 17 Oct 2003 21:51

HI Siobhan I have Frank (Francis) V. Lewis located 80 Cherrywood Road civil parish Aston Parliamentary Borough Bordesley on the 1901 census. If Birmingham have Gores directories, could you do a few lookups after this date to see if you can find him? He was a hairdresser and does not appear in the Liverpool Gores directory although his brothers are. In 1901 he was listed as a 'Helper in stores' which is very bizzare as he was definitely a hairdresser. Many thanks Barbara

Amanda

Amanda Report 17 Oct 2003 22:15

Siobhan, Thanks so much for your offer. Could you look up a marriage for George Henry Lee for me? Married September 19,1897 to an Ann(e). The registry number is 6d 228. I'd be extremely interested in Ann(e)'s maiden name and her parent's names, as well as our Georgie's parents. Thanks again, if you can find that for me it will have made my weekend! Amanda

Alan

Alan Report 17 Oct 2003 23:56

Hello Siobhan, Could you please look up a christing of Henry Stephen Lingham Flatcher on 25 Aug. 1820 St. Phillips, Birmingham. I Know the father was Henry Fletcher but I don't know the surname of Jane the mother. Hope is shown. With thanks Alan

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 18 Oct 2003 18:06

please see the above...for all of you that posted

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 18 Oct 2003 18:22

Alan, mother's maiden names are not usually shown on parish registers, you will need to find a marriage or the birth of an older sibling who would have been registered. Ros

Amanda

Amanda Report 18 Oct 2003 22:19

Don't worry Siobhan! Nothing worse than trying to do something when you're feeling under the weather. Chicken Soup, lots of rest and good thoughts. Hope you're feeling better soon! Amanda

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 22:33

I'd advise you not to go on a wednesday, as that is the day that the seventh floor archives are shut, so you could'nt access workhouse records,business records etc. You'll find they're all helpful in Bham archives. There's just a lot of escalotors to go up. George